Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Off-Season Update With Scott Wood


A couple of weeks back someone wrote a comment asking what Scott Wood has been up to in the off-season. I called Scott earlier today and asked him what he has been up to since the season ended and what his plans were before he arrives in Raleigh in late-June.

Scott told me that he has been working out a lot. Coach Towe sent him a workout regimen and he has been hitting the gym 4 days a week along with a lot of jumping rope and running. He also told us that he has 3 All-Star games coming up in the next month as well (The Hickory Husker All-Star Classic, Indiana All-Stars vs. Kentucky All-Stars game and the Indiana All-Stars vs. Indiana Junior All-Stars game).

I told Scott that we all enjoyed the video that we came across on YouTube this past Saturday. Come to find out, apparently Scott's Uncle makes all of the video's of Scott that we have been embedding on the site. Laughingly, he told me that he gave his Uncle a hard time, because he left out his favorite dunk (apparently posterizing someone). Scott said that "A lot of people assume that I’m not very athletic, but I do have a little bit of bounce. I can get pretty high off one foot, but I am still working on getting higher off of two feet."

I asked Scott if the staff had given him any idea which position they were planning on using him at. He said that they would probably use him at the 3 spot, even though he has the capability to play the 1, 2, or 3. This is another incentive for Scott to hit the gym hard this off-season. Scott said that "I believe that I could be a big mismatch problem for defenders if I play the three, but then that can go both ways, so that is why I am working out really hard this off-season."

Wood said that he has been in contact with Jordan Vandenberg, and that he seems like a really nice guy. He also said that he was excited about the possibility of playing with DeShawn Painter, who Wood is familiar with from playing against Painter's Boo Williams team at last years Boo Williams Invitational. He said that Painter plays a "smart game, which is uncommon in a lot of AAU play. It was his basketball IQ that he hurt us with the most."

He also told me that he was excited that Julius Mays was about to come back home, because he is about to wrap up his final exams. He also laughed when he promised me that he would "make sure Julius stayed in good shape."


It was good talking to Scott again, and we will catch up with him again after his All-Star games. Thanks Scott!

comments

16 Responses to "Off-Season Update With Scott Wood"
  1. Unknown said...
    May 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM

    I always look forward to basketball and football season but I am looking forward to them both even more now.


    I think Scott is going to be a fan favorite.

    Lets go Pack!

  2. KarNCSU said...
    May 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM

    Wood seems like a real class act. Glad he's gonna be runnin with the wolfpack. From watching videos his game seems to resemble Mike Dunleavy. A little shorter then him but can do a lot of the same things based on his videos. Tall, lanky, mismatch waiting to happen. Can shoot the rock, can get the steals. Maybe someone else could give another example of who he resembles but thats what I see outta him. But I'm bettin that Wood will make his own name for himself after 4 yrs at State and a few years after that we will be comparing some youngin to Wood ;)

    Also its good that he's already close to Mays and I'm sure he will gel real well with the other players such as CJ Williams, JT, and the others in his class. Suprising that he's already in touch with JV

  3. j.sol said...
    May 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM

    the bond that our new players are making with each other will go a really long way. that's something that was desperately missing during the sendek years.

  4. Realwolfpacker said...
    May 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM

    I think he is going to be my favorite player over the next 4 years. He really does seem like a great kid and hard worker.

    I have a sneaky feeling that he is going to end up being All-ACC his Junior and Senior years. He is one of the most underated recruits coming into the ACC IMO. Keep working hard, Scott. Can't wait to see you in Red & White.

  5. Anonymous said...
    May 5, 2009 at 5:38 PM

    My kids somehow screwed up my account so I had to post as anonymous this time, but this WoodFan4Life....You are definately getting a great guy on and off the court I am sure will make all the wolfpacker fans as proud as he has made me!! I can't wait to watch him suit up for NC State....great post Wolfpackhoops!! Absolutely love your site!!

  6. Eric said...
    May 5, 2009 at 9:53 PM

    Woodfan4life = Scott's parents? I hope so...I appreciate this site bringing not only our recruits into the wolfpack family, but also their families into the wolfpack family.

  7. Anonymous said...
    May 5, 2009 at 11:52 PM

    Good article WPH!

    I love how PackPride deletes every thread that links you guys! Looks like they're a little scared.

    Don't worry, you guys are fighting the good fight. Wish I could say that about some other Wolfpack sites.

    -TheWolfman8321

  8. wolfranger said...
    May 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM

    Great interview WPH! Since the first interview with Scott that I read, I knew that he was going to be a great representative of NC State and will be one of my favorite players and definitely a fan favorite for the next 4 years.

  9. Anonymous said...
    May 6, 2009 at 6:57 AM

    Again this is WoodFan4Life....I am actually Scott's aunt that lives in Pittsburgh. But, I would like to think I am as proud of him as his parents are!!

  10. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 6, 2009 at 8:47 AM

    Woodfan4Life,
    Thanks for writing in! We're so excited about not only the player we are getting in Scott, but also the person. He is one of the more polite well spoken players we've had the opportunity to talk to. I can already tell he's going to be a fan favorite around Raleigh.

  11. David said...
    May 6, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  12. ppack3 said...
    May 6, 2009 at 9:39 AM

    Woodfan4life - We can't wait to see Scott suit up for the Pack! It's great to see that he has a supportive family that takes a heavy interest in him. Any family of Scott's, is family of ours. So, welcome to the Wolfpack family, Auntie.
    KarNCSU - I can see why you would compare Scott to Dunleavy, but I would take it a step farther. I would, based on stats and vids, say that Scott is a blend of Dunleavy and Reddick. I know what people are going to think about comparing Mr. Wood to two Dookies, but he has a better stroke then Dunleavy, yet he is taller and quicker off the dribble (possibly a SF) than J.J. Reddick. In short, Scott Wood is going to be a dangerous player!
    Plus, you have to love a baller with the name Wood! It just lends itself to the best headlines after big wins. It's like having a baseball player named Fields, or a Pack player named Wolfe (Got one on the gridiron!) Go Pack!

  13. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 6, 2009 at 9:46 AM

    ^^ David, we can assure you that there is nothing going on behind the scenes with Painter. What we've reported is all there is to the story right now. He liked State and was surprised by our facilities and our staff feels good about how it went. However, we did not get a commitment b/c he wanted to visit Maryland before making any choices. Scott was just talking about possibilities in next years class and we asked him if he's played with or heard of Painter.

  14. Realwolfpacker said...
    May 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM

    WoodFan4Life -

    Tell Scott he can't get here quick enough. He is already my favorite player on the team and he isn't even here yet. Thanks for supporting the Wolfpack.

  15. Anonymous said...
    June 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM

    I just wanted to say that I just uploaded Scott's Senior season highlights onto the Youtube account, and I think I even got that dunk in that Scott wanted.

    Uncle Tim

  16. Anonymous said...
    June 7, 2009 at 11:57 AM

    Sorry, I forgot the links, if anyone wants to see them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaSjmBHwdi8&feature=channel_page and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8S4AWMPrbY&feature=channel_page

    Uncle Tim

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates