Sunday, May 3, 2009

Will He or Won't He?


Be on the look out for the infamous John Wall list that is supposedly being released tomorrow, however don't hold your breath. After numerous delays and twists in his recruitment, Mr. Wall is ,hopefully, going to trim his list tomorrow at some point. Will the Wolfpack be a final player in the John Wall sweepstakes? That's a good question and while not for lack of trying, we have no earthly idea who's going to make that list.

What we do know, however, is that when John makes his decisions about his final list there will be some broken hearts. What we ask is that you respect that he is an 18 year old kid. Respect that he is being pulled in a million directions by a million different people. And please respect that NC State stayed on his list from day one. This is not saying we won't make the cut, but it's fair warning in case we do not. We want this site to be the positive presence of NC State basketball, and by that we mean we are respectful of our recruits, our players and our coaches. We hope you're on board with us!

With that being said, let's take a look at the interview done by the Charlotte Observer yesterday, which looks at John Wall as a more sympathetic figure.
Is Wall delaying his decision because he enjoys the attention?

I don't think so. I doubt he has ever made an unsolicited call to a reporter. He has never sought publicity to my knowledge. He is confident, but not conceited.


He is like many high school seniors and is struggling with his college decision. He has more options than most students and probably has a lot more at stake.
His decision-making process has been slowed by coaching changes, late recruiting offers and his mother's illness. She is recovering from an aneurysm.

John Wall has been misjudged by a lot of people who wish he would get on their timetable and make his decision.
He has been polite to me and, as far as I know, honest.
During our interviews, he consistently says, “Yes, sir,” or “No, sir.”He has spoken several times about being a teenager who has to make a big decision, a decision that he wishes he felt more confident about.

Last fall, Word of God coach Levi Beckwith said to understand Wall you need to know that he wants to make people happy. He doesn't want to disappoint.
Before Wall began taking official visits, Beckwith asked Wall to promise to not commit while on a recruiting trip. “John would commit every place he visits if he is not careful,” Beckwith said at the time. “He wants to make that coach happy; he doesn't want to disappoint him.”Pretty soon, though, Wall will disappoint a lot of college basketball fans when their choice for him doesn't match his.

comments

13 Responses to "Will He or Won't He?"
  1. Anonymous said...
    May 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM

    Yeah, this pretty much goes hand in hand with how I've felt all along; he didn't want to discuss his real desire (Kentucky) becuase of how close he is (proximity wise) to NC State. I don't believe we land him however, I wouldn't be surprised (so as not to dissapoint) that we make his list. I believe it will look like the following: Kentucky, NC State and Duke. My guess... Kentucky wins out if there is no way for him to go to the NBA.

    I was posting as Afterglow but for some reason it wouldn't except my password-so I'm Anonymous.

  2. T.J. said...
    May 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM

    God Bless you and your family John Wall and whatever decision you decide to make we support it 100 percent. You seem like a great kid and you seem to have a great family and no matter where you lace it up we wish you nothing but success !!!

  3. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 3, 2009 at 9:32 PM

    Afterglow,
    Your list is exactly what mine would look like if I had to put money on it. I've talked to the kid a few times and really, like everyone else that's talked with him, can't get a real feel on what factors are really pulling on him.

    TJ,
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

  4. Anonymous said...
    May 3, 2009 at 9:33 PM

    Jerry Meyer of Rivals says Wall will now wait until school's out (another week) to make any changes to his list.

  5. WolfpackNation09 said...
    May 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM

    I am not truly convinced that we need this recruitment at this state of the game. I feel we have a strong point guard coming in the following year in Ryan Harrow. I also have alot of confidence in Javy the way he grew last year and became more confident and I also feel very very good about Julius Mays ! I am more concerned about how the DeShawn Painter visit was this week-end? do you have any inside information on how that went because I believe he is a 4 year player who could help us for quite a while and will be a huge asset for our university. Everytime I look at the kid I think about J.J. Hickson they look alot alike and if they play alike then we have found a GEM!!!! So please if at all possible wolfpack hoops could we get some type of update on DeShawn Painter?

  6. one00proof said...
    May 3, 2009 at 10:29 PM

    The feeling I've gotten from his entire recruitment is that his "heart" wants to go to UK or Duke while he wants to "please people" by going to State. I think that's also cited by the speculation that had Cousins or Favors committed to State, Wall would have followed. (A legit big man to pair off with his "desire to please people" would have given him the best of both worlds)

    At heart JW is a real good kid from the sound of it and I think it's more that he wants to please people of anything else. People say he's constantly listing new teams because he wants the attention but it could also be the opposite that he wants to please those coaches. Remember, college coaches don't care if they guilt you into signing with them, it's part of their job. I think that's represented why he went to NCCU even though everyone knew he wouldn't be going there, he wanted to please their coach.

    I have mixed feelings about Wall narrowing his list and having him keep us on there (the speculation has been UK, Duke, State for a while), but if he gives us a fair shake at the end of the day (ie. One last unofficial), then I'll be fine with whatever his choice is, less it's Duke :)

  7. Anonymous said...
    May 3, 2009 at 10:43 PM

    I wish Mr. Wall the best of luck. I plan on following his career, regardless of where he goes...I can't wait to see this dude in the NBA.

    Do what you gotta do, John.

  8. Kris said...
    May 3, 2009 at 11:02 PM

    Good Luck to you John. Remember, you could be "THE" recruit/player that is labeled as the "ONE" that returns us to our prominent status. I love the other recruits and very much appreciate their commitments but I'm just saying thats how the media would play it. Most players need to look at programs and ask "how can this program benefit me" but some players are so talented that they should ask "how can I help this program". John Wall, are you ready to leave your mark on NCSU basketball?

  9. ppack3 said...
    May 3, 2009 at 11:15 PM

    The circumstances surrounding this young man's family situations are horrible. I still feel that staying close to home is of paramount importance in John's decision. Moving to Kentucky for 18 months or so, and then traveling constantly with the NBA after that, would leave him with minimal contact with his family. Whatever the decision, I will (have to) live with it, and I will wish John well.
    Though, I contend that NC State is a great fit for John. Sidney Lowe can provide NBA contacts, an NBA style of play, playing time, school heritage, beautiful facilities, an awesome fan base, and the right location (lucky us). His Mother is a long time fan. I would not be surprised, at all, if John had NCSU on his narrowed list.
    All that said, only John knows what he wants out of his 'pre-NBA'/college experience. The choice that John makes shouldn't take anyone off-guard. It's a big decision.
    We have landed some good players and we have missed out on many good players. That is the process. I would love to see John run with the Pack, as much as anyone. So, we'll see. Time will tell.

  10. Unknown said...
    May 3, 2009 at 11:32 PM

    UK, Duke, Miami, NCSU. Thats what I say and I think his priorities are in that order. NCSU only makes the list out of respect for his mom and for coach Lowe but he is going to UK and Calipari is making sure of it.

  11. Anonymous said...
    May 3, 2009 at 11:57 PM

    Justin, don't we see enough of that on the other boards? You may be right. You may be wrong.

    I really wouldn't be surprised if we don't even make the "final" list... BUT I also wouldn't be too surprised if we see John running with the Pack next year.

    All any of us can do is hope and wait, put it in perspective, and not worry about it too much. I hope he has a great career, regardless of where he goes. Raleigh NC, represent!

  12. Unknown said...
    May 4, 2009 at 8:37 AM

    I was not trying to sound negative but I just think thats what we will see. I respect John for taking his time to make sure where he wants to go.

  13. ppack3 said...
    May 4, 2009 at 9:27 AM

    I would like to say that I love the spirit of this board. The positivity is a welcomed breath of fresh air. But, I believe that we can discuss items, such as this, without pointing out the "negativity" in someone's comments. After all, isn't that, in and of itself, negative behavior? Let's allow the moderators of this great site, to run the site. Sometimes, even sane and rational people must bring up something that is not ENTIRELY positive, in order to shed some light on a subject. If a poster is bashing the program or any facet of the University, by all means, fire those criticisms (not that they would make it to your screen anyway). But, if I say that it is going to be rainy today, please don't "call me out" for being negative (sarcastic example). Thank you again, WPH. And, Go Pack.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates