Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sharing the Wealth: NBA on Ben McCauley's Mind


When people think about "NBA talent" what comes to mind is a player with extreme athleticism, a dead-eye jump shot and blazing quickness. Former NC State big man Ben McCauley has none of the above, however that isn't stopping him from following his NBA dream. One word that describes McCauley to a tee is "solid", and make no mistake, there is room for "solid" on an NBA roster.

We recently came across a great article by Ben's hometown paper "The Valley Independent" which had the opportunity to catch up with him and talk about his time at NC State and his pursuit of an NBA contract.

He may not be a marquee player or a go-to guy, but he'll get the opportunity to get paid to play," said Mike Morrison, a former NBA player who is helping to train McCauley in Greenville, N.C., for a shot at making an NBA team.


One thing Big Ben made his living off with the Wolfpack is his ability to score with his back to the basket. The NBA is littered with big men built like bodybuilders, which would certainly pose a problem for Ben's method of attack. That very fact has had McCauley working hard in the gym at being able to stretch the defense by honing his mid-range game.

"I can definitely see myself finding a spot on a team," he said. "Not everybody's an all-star. I'm going to find my niche. I think if I can develop a knockdown 3-point shot to go along with my defensive and rebounding ability, I can bring enough energy to a team to be a valuable contributor."


While many will write him off for being undersized and not athletic enough, McCauley has supporters who know that where there is a will there is a way. One of those supporters is NC State head coach Sidney Lowe.

"Ben really dedicated himself last summer, and that's why he (played) well," Lowe said. "There's not been one single day this year in practice or for the game when he didn't come ready to play."


That very ability to focus and come mentally ready to compete is one of the main reasons McCauley believes he can find a spot with a NBA team. There have been players with less of a skill set that have made it. With the passion and drive that Big Ben brings to the table, we believe he will get his shot somewhere at some point. We are certainly rooting for him.

"I've been watching the NBA playoffs as much as I can and I know there is a place for me," McCauley said. "I believe I have a legitimate shot. A lot of guys play overseas for a couple of years. It may not happen right away, but I feel confident that with the guys I've been working out with, I'm in a really good situation."

comments

9 Responses to "Sharing the Wealth: NBA on Ben McCauley's Mind"
  1. Anonymous said...
    June 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM

    I hope he makes it...I'm a big Ben fan. I big, big Ben fan.

    Go get 'em!

    Tank04

  2. Unknown said...
    June 11, 2009 at 12:36 PM

    I went to State with Big Ben and had more sport management classes with him than I can name and I wish Ben nothing but the best. Hard worker on the court and in the classroom and an extremely nice guy! Hope he has the chance to prove himself somewhere, great character should have a spot on a roster somewhere!

  3. TK said...
    June 11, 2009 at 12:50 PM

    If I were a NBA team I would take a chance on this guy because of 1 reason INTENSITY and PREPARATION. I believe he is a hard worker and a great person. I would prefer him over the Brandon Costner's of the world because he will give it everything he has every night and he will come mentally prepared! Ben McCauley I do have some connections with the Bobcats so if you are reading this please e-mail me so we can discuss. Thanks!

  4. Alum02 said...
    June 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM

    Saw on the news the other night that he worked out for the Bobcats. I think Hansbrough was there at the same time.

  5. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    June 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM

    ^ that is correct

  6. Anonymous said...
    June 12, 2009 at 9:41 AM

    Ben is a great player, but so was Brandon. If you don't like him don't talk about him. Ben's intensity is no different than Brandon, but you just need to hate.

  7. Anonymous said...
    June 12, 2009 at 9:50 AM

    ^^I beg to differ. Brandon is a great kid and a great player. Intensity is an attribute, it's like a quick first step or a fade away jumper. Some people have it, some people don't. Brandon has a lot of positive attributes but bringing intensity to the floor is not one of them. Let's be completely honest with ourselves, Ben is intense, Brandon isn't. It doesn't have to be an insult. I love the Chicago Bulls, Noah is intense...Ben Gordon isn't. But sometimes that ice cold demeanor is just as useful.

    Tank04

  8. Anonymous said...
    June 12, 2009 at 10:02 AM

    According to you, Brandon should be penalized for playing under control. In order to play basketball you have to have a level of intensity!!! Players display it differently but do display it. Brandon and Ben both represent State better than anyone we had in the last several years. But Brandon's demeanor should not be in question....

  9. Anonymous said...
    June 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM

    ^According to whom? Who are talking to?

    Tank04

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates