Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Catching Up With Will Roach


Will Roach, a Raleigh native who played his high school ball at Broughton, was a fan favorite that played for the Pack from 2000-2005. We are thankful that Will took the time to chat with us while he was sitting on the back porch down at the beach on a family vacation. Here are a few highlights from the conversation.


WPH: Tell us what you've been up to after graduating from NC State?


Roach:I work for an otrthapedic trauma company called Synthes. We sell implants and instruments, it’s all plates, screws and rods. Basically any time our company does an orthopedic surgery, I sit in and make sure they have everything they need, that all the instruments are being used properly and making observations. I've been doing it for about 3.5 years now. I just kind of fell into it because I actually majored in Business Management with a Marketing concentration.

Also, I got married earlier this year and we have a baby on the way that is due in October.

WPH: What was your favorite part of being a part of the NC State basketball team?

Roach: From the very beginning I just loved all my teammates. They are my family. A couple of weeks ago I was a groomsmen in Scooter Sherill's wedding. Last year I was also in Levi Watkins wedding and he made all of us do a choreographed dance with the bridesmaids down the aisle. It was crazy. Numerous players have lived with my family and I was always bringing the guys over for meals. For instance, Ron Kelly lived with my family for a summer and Engin Atsur lived with my family for awhile. Actually, he came back in town not that long ago to have surgery and he stayed with my family during his recovery. Engin is going to be the God-Father of our kid that is on the way.

I am playing in the Chavis League with Tony Bethel and Jordan Collins right now. We just lost to Cliff Crawford's and Anthony Grundy's team last week in a close one. Marcus Melvin is in town right now. Grundy is as well. Levi and I probably talk at least twice a day. I drove up to Charlotte when Brian Keeter got in the car-wreck. Recently I played with Courtney Fells and Mike Bell in the Burger King 3-on-3 tournament.

The good thing is that we all stay in touch. The summer is my favorite time of year because everyone comes back in town. It's all about camaraderie. We were all sitting in the gym the other day reminiscing at the gym on all the great times playing together. I love my teammates.

WPH: When was the last time you talked with Julius Hodge?

Roach: The last time I talked with Julius was the morning after he got shot. Soon as I heard I gave Julius a call. He told me that all the guys were always telling him that he wasn't tough enough and Julius said "Will, do you think this makes me tough now?" Last I heard, Julius is back in the States trying to get back into the league this summer.

Speaking to Will you really understand that something unique happens when a group of players come together to form a team. They spend a majority of their time together, sweating and working, studying and hanging out. In order for a team to produce victories, the collective group must learn the art of humility and selflessness. They must truly learn to care for one another. The result is more than wins and losses, the result is a life-long bond.

Thanks for your time Will!

comments

9 Responses to "Catching Up With Will Roach"
  1. ppack3 said...
    July 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM

    I'm totally happy to hear that Roach is doing well! Congrats are in order for the little Roach in the oven!
    It's also great to get some insight into those great years of NC State Basketball. Those guys worked their heads off, and rarely got the credit they deserved. Life is more than Championships. Will is, as all other Pack players are, family. Thick AND Thin! Go Pack!

  2. KarNCSU said...
    July 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

    wow well spoken! Good luck to Roach is his future endeavors

  3. Anonymous said...
    July 1, 2009 at 7:50 PM

    Good to hear from Will. I've seen him playing ball in the area with braxton albritton.

    ps. Got my WPH shirt today (since I know the guys that run the site) and they are seriously awesome! Great quality, great fit, great look. matter' fact....i got it on now!

  4. Lynda Sadler said...
    July 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM

    Terrific and informative interview. I spotted Will at several basketball games last season, and it's always nice to see the former players find their way back to the RBC Center.

  5. redfred said...
    July 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM

    Man WPH, you are a man/men??? on a mission and doing exactly what is needed to help rebuild thing back into a BB PROGRAM/Family!!! This the type of stuff that we've been needing forever.

    Good to hear from Will! He's the kind of guy that you look at in the gym, or at the "Y" maybe, and you think you should be able to play with him, and might even be able to take him, then he totally abuses you in every way possible.

    GOOD INTERVIEW and MORE GREAT WORK WPH!!!

  6. Anonymous said...
    July 2, 2009 at 8:18 AM

    Will is brothers-in-law with Braxton now. Braxton married former tennis player Julia Roach. They were HS sweethearts.

  7. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    July 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM

    ^^
    Thanks redfred, we really hope you're right and that this can become something that can bring the NC State family together. We are getting a lot of positive feedback from almost every former player........ And yeah, its 2 people that run this site...so it's "men."

  8. KDub said...
    July 2, 2009 at 9:39 AM

    I remember seeing a video of that wedding march at Levi's wedding. Good stuff.

  9. Anonymous said...
    July 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM

    Mr. Roach is an incredible man and we are lucky to have him in the wolfpack family. I wish all of our players could have half the heart he had on the court and grow up to me half the man he has become.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates