Monday, July 27, 2009

An Interview With Dezmine Wells


As stated yesterday, we had the opportunity to catch up with Dezmine Wells (Word of God) last week. Wells has been one of the names that has been buzzing quite a bit on the AAU circuit this summer. This summer Dezmine has had the chance to show everyone that his game is much more diverse than many may have thought. Last year at Word of God Dezmine was forced to spend more time down low rather than out on the wing. Playing with the CP3 All-Stars this summer Wells has had the opportunity to play at the guard slot, which he believes is his most natural position. Dezmine has flourished this summer with the ball in his hands attacking the basket and making plays.

WPH: We know that NC State has shown some interest in you over the past year. How much has that interest increased over the summer?

Wells: During the school season they weren’t showing me that much interest because of the way my coach played me down low. At the Adidas Take 5ive they saw a different player. They said they liked my style of play. They liked that I was a hard-nosed defender. Coach Lowe talked to my AAU coach and told him that they were offering me a scholarship. Coach Lowe called me and he told me that he was going to go about recruiting me the right way and that he was very interested in me and loved the way that I played.

WPH: Obviously there are other schools that are showing interest in you, but how much does it mean to you that a school right in your backyard is pushing hard for you?

Wells: It’s a big deal and I really appreciate it. I’m really thankful for everything that’s coming at me right now, and I’m just trying to take it all in.

WPH: We have had the chance to watch you play on numerous occasions and it is obvious that you have a strength advantage on most of your opponents that guard you. You look like a football player out there. Do you spend a lot of time in the gym?

Wells: I actually have never really lifted weights very much. My coaches are really encouraging me to get in the gym and that is something that I’m really going to do this year. Maybe I’m strong because I did a lot of push-ups growing up. My mom didn’t beat or spank me, she just made me do push-ups when I got into trouble. I guess you could say I did a lot of push-ups. I also played football (Quarterback) up until after my freshmen year. I definitely can use my athletic ability and strength to my advantage. I can play the 1, the 2 or the 3. I know that if I can get a guy on my side that it is over. I’m also strong enough to guard a guy in the post.

WPH: Who would you say that you pattern your game after?

Wells: I really love the way that both Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans play the game, so I guess you could say I pattern my game after those guys.

WPH: What can we expect from Word of God in the upcoming season?

Wells: I think we are going the have a really strong team. A lot is going to be expected of me at the guard position, and I’ll probably see time at all three positions out on the perimeter. I talked with C.J. Leslie earlier this week and we were talking about how we were excited and ready for the season to get here.

Thanks Dezmine!

comments

18 Responses to "An Interview With Dezmine Wells"
  1. theSled said...
    July 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM

    I'm a big fan of Wells. He has a toughness I believe the team could use plus his defense is very good. I'm still not sure what they are going to do as far as '10 scholarships but I'd be happy if Wells committed for '11 soon and they just added a big in '10.

  2. Anonymous said...
    July 27, 2009 at 2:23 PM

    "Wells: I really love the way that both Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans play the game, so I guess you could say I pattern my game after those guys."


    I have a guess as to what other school will be on his final list...

  3. Alum02 said...
    July 27, 2009 at 3:06 PM

    I've never seen Wells play, but from what I've read he sounds like Cliff Crawford with a little better offense.

  4. Realwolfpacker said...
    July 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM

    I don't feel good about landing any recruit from Word of God.

  5. Anonymous said...
    July 27, 2009 at 5:20 PM

    As another anon said..."Wells: I really love the way that both Derrick Rose and Tyreke Evans play the game, so I guess you could say I pattern my game after those guys."

    Sounds right now like he's a huge Knetucky lean. You throw that statement and the fact that he plays at WOG and played with john Wall. I say he's a Kentucky lean right now without a doubt.

    But who knows? He hasn't been a highly regarded recruit as of yet so it will be interesting to see how this thing plays out.

  6. Pack Leader said...
    July 27, 2009 at 5:35 PM

    I agree I question what that coach is telling his players about NCSU.

    WPH any idea how the relationship is between their coach and Sid?

  7. Anonymous said...
    July 27, 2009 at 6:24 PM

    didn't WOG just get a new coach? Or am I thinking of someone else?

  8. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    July 27, 2009 at 6:46 PM

    Coach Beckwith was recently fired from WOG. Don't assume that we have a bad relationship with WOG b/c of Wall and Leslie. Wells has had nothing but good things to say about State.

  9. glock said...
    July 27, 2009 at 7:28 PM

    I went to see word of god play last season to get a glimpse of wall and leslie, but I was immediatly asking about dezmine. The kid takes the ball to the rim hard and nothing gets in his way. I was also impressed by the video footage from pagnos, I had no idea he had handles like that. I guess that's why he said his coach was playing him out of position. I guess that's why word of god didn't have the season they should have with the talent they had. Keep your heads up pack fans calapari can't have them all, i have a feeling by 2011 recruits may want pattern their game after players like Ryan Harrow, Lorenzo Brown, Scott Wood and so on!

  10. Unknown said...
    July 27, 2009 at 11:25 PM

    Word of God and Kentucky? Gasp. Calipari will continue to hit up private schools at an alarming rate because guess what? No paper trail. If the NCAA comes knocking at the private schools doors then school can just say that they are a school of God and we would be relieved if you turned around and left. They area private school and can virtually do what they want. They keep their own records and they admit who they want. Its the perfect breeding ground for impropriety. Also how easy would it be for a college coach to "aid" in helping a kid pay for said private school. If you think about all of it then you will begin to see the pieces fall in to place. Long story short. Kentucky pays better. Dont be surprised when every one of these kids ends up at UK. I for one am glad Sid seems to stay away from it once things start getting ugly.

  11. Anonymous said...
    July 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM

    Justin,
    Best and most accurate post I've seen in a long while!

  12. DealBigRick said...
    July 28, 2009 at 5:50 AM

    "I for one, am glad Sid stays away when things get ugly."

    In case you haven't noticed, Sid goes after WOG guys on a regular basis. He goes after guys Calipari and Memphis go after. It's not that he's staying away, it's that the players haven't come here (yet). What does "things get ugly" mean anyway? You mean when they de-commit or drop us on their list? That's hardly being holier-than-thou.

    BTW, anybody know what public HS Wells would be attending if he never went to WOG?

  13. Anonymous said...
    July 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

    Justin, most generalizing and accusatory post I've seen on here in a while. Have you ever even been over to Word of God? Do you know anything about the school other than what you surmise by reading blogs and other sites? Have you ever met any of the students? Do you know, or have you ever met the founder? Kentucky signs ONE kid from this school and now there is some shady stuff going on? Come on now!

    Just tell the NCAA to turn around and leave? Please! The kids from private schools must go through the clearinghouse just like public school kids. No sense pissing off the NCAA.

  14. Unknown said...
    July 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM

    Dude I know Sid goes after WOG players all the time. Its a school that recently has some of the best talent in the state and its right in his backyard. Sid has also been one of the first ones on these kids. My point was that Sid doesnt continue the recruitment once the recruitment becomes less than by the book. If you cant see what I am implying then I cant help you. But lets just say that Calipari and the kids at WOG "have a great relationship."

  15. Anonymous said...
    July 28, 2009 at 12:11 PM

    So you are saying that Sid stopped recruiting John Wall? So are you saying that Sid stopped recruiting CJ Leslie?

  16. Unknown said...
    July 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM

    No I am saying that Sid has his way of recruiting and Cal has his. If those two continue to recruit in the same way then Sid has no chance to get anyone that Cal is after. Sid isnt going to play games. Hes going to do it the right way and with the kids at WOG it likely isnt going to get it done. Thats all I am saying.

  17. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    July 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM

    ^I don't think there is some sort of need to mark of players at WOG. All of this seems to be conjecture.

  18. DealBigRick said...
    July 30, 2009 at 5:29 AM

    Then what you're referring to, Justin, is how Calipari goes after ALL players. It's not a WOG-only thing. There is some shady stuff at that school. The administrators there give me the creeps. But any shady stuff is more like "do they get grades fixed?" or "are they just using the basketball program to get more $ and recruiting kids to leave their current HS?"

    Has nothing to do with college coaches as the school has little, if anything to do with that.

    Perhaps the most flawed part of what you wrote is that you're thinking Sid stopped recruiting Wall or Leslie because another team started cheating. That's never happened.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates