Saturday, October 24, 2009

HoopMixTape: Lorenzo Brown vs. Oak Hill


comments

58 Responses to "HoopMixTape: Lorenzo Brown vs. Oak Hill"
  1. Afterglow said...
    October 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM

    Holy HECK! What position does he play? He's got nice handles, good range, incredible court vision and a sweet ability to create. I can't wait to see this combo of him and Harrow but short of a two headed monster I'm not even sure how to wrap my head around it... but it feels right. Good God Almighty, free at last!

  2. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    Man you know a guy is good if he looks smooth dribbling the ball off of his foot.

    Outside shoot, runs the floor and post up.

    I hear rumblings of something special in Raleigh again.

    I was lucky enough to go to NCSU from 83-87 and I hope the good times roll again.

    GO SID!!!!!

  3. JerseyWolf said...
    October 24, 2009 at 2:42 PM

    he looks real good....i cant wait for a back court of zo and harrow!

  4. Wolfcop said...
    October 24, 2009 at 2:56 PM

    You know I was just thinking...other than Fire and Ice, have we ever had two 5 star guards come in at the same time? I know that stars were not around in the 80's or 90's, but have we ever gotten 2 guards rated that high? I remember reading a Street and Smith's magazine that had Fire and Ice both in the top 20. Were Coach Lowe and Coach Whittenburg in the top 20 of their class? I also know that the further you go back it is harder to find recruiting info. Recruiting simply was not evaluated that much.

  5. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:06 PM

    Whittenburg and Lowe both came out of DeMatha High School as McDonald's All-Americans

  6. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM

    unbelievable!!! I can't wait to see Mr. Brown do that in a State Uniform!

  7. Unknown said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:19 PM

    Nice and Smooth Game. I like to see that. Looks like both Ryan and Brown can create their own shot or get someone else a shot off the dribble. This is something that we've been lacking for a while.

    Looking Good.

  8. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM

    I see some similarities in his game w/ the vids i've seen of Cothron. Luke's a big man, and Lo's a guard, but both of their games look very smooth and effortless.

  9. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM

    This kid is really really good! He is going to be a great guard in the ACC and hopefully part of some very special Wolfpack teams!

    Go PACK!!

  10. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM

    holy smokes. he was good last year, but he is improving his game.

    can't wait for smooth electric to get here

    -sf59

  11. ppack3 said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM

    Fire and Ice is patented. LoBro and Harrow can be referred to as 'Nice and Smooth!'(Thanks for the idea, Corey)

    I can't see the video on my CrackBerry, but I can imagine it until I get back to a CPU.

    Go State!

  12. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:48 PM

    So was he running the point or playing off the ball more?

  13. wolfie91 said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:49 PM

    Nice and Smooth...I like that.

    not sure much D was being played in that game though.

  14. Afterglow said...
    October 24, 2009 at 3:57 PM

    Wolfcop-Closest I can think of is Nate McMillan and Vinny Delnegro but... I believe Nate was in Junior College and both were only on the team at the same time but not recruited in the same year.

    I suppose both were great players in their own right but I’m not entirely sure they displayed their greatness on the floor in tandem. Been a long time since we rock and rolled!

  15. Wolfcop said...
    October 24, 2009 at 5:23 PM

    Good memory Afterglow. Was Vinny highly regarded coming out of HS? I know that Nate was coming from Chowan. Those 2 guys were awesome. Man we had some good teams in the 80s. We always had good guards and that's what it's all about in college bball.

  16. Unknown said...
    October 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM

    doesn't he remind you of Brandon Roy just a bit?

  17. Dof87 said...
    October 24, 2009 at 6:43 PM

    All this offensive ability coming in is great and exciting, but if these guys don't play intense D, its meaningless. That's why I hope to see this year's squad develop an evil stingy defensive identity.

    Also, remember its one heckuva lot tougher to make moves like this in D1 ball, where the other teams scout out your tendencies and try to take away your strengths...

  18. Unknown said...
    October 24, 2009 at 9:19 PM

    I know Del Negro was a very good high school player, but I don't recall there being much fanfare around his recruitment. Certainly nothing like what we heard when Monroe and Corchiani committed. They were a big deal on the high school level (I remember Vitale gushing over Corchiani), and they turned out to be pretty good in Raleigh, too...!

    Ish Benjamin was a Top 50 or Top 75 type recruit, IIRC, but his career was not what most fans had hoped for.

    Harrow and Brown are easily the most anticipated backcourt to come to State since Corchiani and Monroe, IMO. I hope they stay awhile!

  19. Afterglow said...
    October 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM

    I guess it's hard to say what his (Delnegro's) rank would have been but I do know that Valvano had Kentucky to compete against in getting him.

  20. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM

    Just for kicks...here is a list of all of the McDonald's to ever come through NC State. This is in our history and record section.

    http://wolfpackhoops.blogspot.com/2009/01/favors-powers-in-winning-basket.html

  21. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM

    What i like about Brown in this game. He has only been there for what like 3 month? This was a high school game not a AAU game.He play like he knew all the players on his team.

  22. Afterglow said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

    ^That is interesting. Chris Washburn was actually in that same year that Delnegro, John Thompson, Q Jackson and then I actually beleive that McMillan may have been that year as well now that I think about it. That was one hell of a recruiting year for Valvano!

  23. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM

    Nate McMillan transferred in from Chowan for the 84-85 season. That was some sort of monster class Afterglow.

  24. Wolfcop said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:15 PM

    I really hope that Ryan makes the Micky D's roster. Maybe Luke has a shot, too. CJL will definitely be on it.

  25. Wolfcop said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM

    BTW, WPH..are you going to be at Ryan's thing on Nov 11?

  26. Anonymous said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

    Funny you bring up John Thompson, he was highly recruited but ended up transferring out and went to VCU.

    Ran into him in a club in Bowling Green Ky. for the Sun Belt tournament(UNCC student). Asked him why on earth would he leave NCSU, this was before transferring out was common (1987).

    He was a super nice guy but said "If you are playing for State, it's great...but if you're not playing, it's not so great."

    I walked away still wondering why in the hell he would leave V and State. Just didn't make sense at the time.

    -David

  27. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

    Wolfcop...we will be definitely be at Sammy's on the 11th. Who all is planning on making it out for Ryan's signing?

  28. Wolfcop said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM

    Cool! My wife and I will be there. How will we know it's you? I know you will probably be snapping pics or filming. Can you wear a Wolfpack Hoops shirt or something? lol

    And let us know if you are able to get some more of those shirts printed. I'd like to get one or two.

  29. Afterglow said...
    October 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM

    David-
    That is interesting. I'm with you on the V thing. The man was amazing! It's beyond me why they haven't made a movie (A GOOD MOVIE) about him... I don't know, maybe something about that tournament they won a while ago.

    But I for one would ride the pine to hear, see and experience Jimmy Valvano.

  30. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 24, 2009 at 11:05 PM

    Wolfcop...We'll be filming and snapping pics. Not sure what we will be wearing yet, I normally don't plan that far in advance. Haha. We look forward to meeting many of you there.

  31. Unknown said...
    October 24, 2009 at 11:22 PM

    He made Oak Hill (aka the best prep school in the country) look like a bunch of middle schoolers. His control and feel for the game is incredible.

  32. Slick said...
    October 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

    Ryan should definitely make the Mickey D game. I still can't believe he didn't get chosen for that game at Rucker Park a while back. That game was a perfect fit for him and his AND1 moves.

  33. Wolfcop said...
    October 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM

    I GUARANTEE you that Ryan would have been selected to play in that game if he was a Dook or Hole commit.

  34. Slick said...
    October 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM

    No doubt Wolfcop. He would probably already be the #1 PG in the country too.

    That's alright though we all know how good he is and everyone else in college basketball will know in 2010.

  35. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 12:18 AM

    Yes Afterglow, Valvano and 1983 is a movie script waiting to happen. Would be way better than the sorry remakes of movies from that same time period.

    I would nominate Al Pacino to play V if he was 20 years younger. Who gets the lead in this day and age? I nominate Steve Nash (with a haircut) to play the role of Terry "The Cannon" Gannon.

    -David

  36. KarNCSU said...
    October 25, 2009 at 2:00 AM

    Brown is soo slick and smooth. Wow he makes it look effortless. It's like he's playing with a bunch of little kids on the court. AMAZING! He is just as good of a passer as he is driving the lane. Jack of all trades..whewww very nice. Cant wait till he's wearin that red and white!

    Wish I would be able to make Ryans signing, unfortunetly I doubt they would let me off of work if I tell them its Ryan Harrows signing. The dentists I work for would think I'm nuts.

  37. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 6:40 AM

    He needs to get stronger with his left hand. His right is amazing, but he doesn't seem to trust his left even when he goes for lay-ups. He needs to work on that to be ready to make an immediate impact in college. He'll be a great player in his career if he works hard. He seems to understand the game really well, judging by how he sets up the opposition.

  38. ppack3 said...
    October 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM

    Well, I finally made it to a real computer to watch the vid. Very impressive. The vision and the handles are there. He is smooth, no doubt. I can't wait for 2010.

    Nice and Smooth.

    Go Pack!

  39. j.sol said...
    October 25, 2009 at 12:53 PM

    absolutely afterglow, one of my goals is to make a jimmy v/1983 movie happen. it deserves to go down as one of the greatest sports movies in history right next to hoosiers, remember the titans, miracle, glory road, and dare i say teenwolf (ok that's a little inside joke i have with my friends, so forgive me if you didn't laugh).

    seriously though, a 1983 movie needs to happen and i had actually been trying to get help to write a screenplay and get some interviews with some of the former players and if someone wants to help me make that happen, let me know.

    also, nice & smooth sounds like it could be a good nickname for harrow & brown. sometimes i rhyme slow, sometimes i rhyme quick quick quick...

  40. Afterglow said...
    October 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  41. Afterglow said...
    October 25, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  42. Afterglow said...
    October 25, 2009 at 1:48 PM

    It's weird, I removed a comment on my own becuase I did't like what I worte and then reposted it and now I don't see it. Oh well... I'll wait a bit longer and then repost it. In any event, an edit button would be nice.

  43. Afterglow said...
    October 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM

    ^^^^Anon
    It’s interesting; Rodney Monroe I don’t think was the best ball handler. I believe his deft shooting and Corchiani’s ability to know where he was and how to get the ball to him was part of what made him such a great player. If Lo Brown can have a shot half as nice as Rodney’s (and I do believe that’s saying a lot) I think he might be able to create shots of his own with his ability to handle the ball. As far as going left is concerned-I’m not sure-but I do believe he is a better ball handler than Monroe.

    As for Monroe, he was hands down, the coolest, ice in your veins, dead on sniper, State has ever seen. His ability to put up 48 points against teams gave opponents night mares; for they would think (there’s no way he can keep shooting like this) as conversely they would have that haunting, nagging thought that told them they were as good as dead. Oh, what I wouldn’t do to see that Iowa game again.

    j.sol
    I would love to see something like that happen. I love to write as well. It seems like a site like this and the resources people have, something like this could happen in this community. Let's do it!

  44. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM

    Never Give Up: The Jimmy V Story
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117166/

  45. j.sol said...
    October 25, 2009 at 3:36 PM

    yeah, i know about "never give up: the jimmy v story", anon, and i feel like it just didn't do the story justice and was about the quality of what you'd see on lifetime or something. i'm determined to make a GOOD one happen. and it doesn't really have to be a big budget film, you can make magic happen on a low budget, you just gotta have skills, haha.

    you can email me at j.sol@likuidnation.com if you wanna bounce some ideas back and forth, Afterglow

  46. Afterglow said...
    October 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM

    Yeah, totally up for that. I'm working on something right now but I'll find time around it.

  47. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 8:20 PM

    Any info on the "secret" srimmage against Richmond

  48. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 9:52 PM

    Wolfpack hoops,
    when are you guys going to a paid site and how do I subscribe?

  49. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM

    http://richmond.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1577&tid=127296896&mid=127296896&sid=1099&style=2

    :( Richmond is supposed to be a pretty good team this year tho FWIW

  50. Anonymous said...
    October 25, 2009 at 11:11 PM

    Chalk it up as a learning experince.

  51. Wolfcop said...
    October 26, 2009 at 12:44 AM

    If no one can talk about it how do we know that report is correct?

  52. Anonymous said...
    October 26, 2009 at 1:24 AM

    im surprised the score was that close actually

    supposedly it was five 10 min quarters, richmond won the first 3, even/close 4th, state won the last

    richmond runs a princeton-like offense that the team figured out more as the game went on.

    all the freshman saw time, josh davis played the best

    warning: all third hand hearsay

  53. Anonymous said...
    October 26, 2009 at 7:46 AM

    Does anyone know who the starting five were for the scrimmage?

  54. Pack Leader said...
    October 26, 2009 at 8:35 AM

    Richmond 63, NCSU 55

    You have GOT to be joking...

    I know its a Scrimage but we are talking about RICHMOND!!! I pray Sid was just playing w/ lineups and not actually having our team attack because if so this is a sad start, scrimage or no scrimage.

    As one Richmond Spider Fan posted on their blog," Nice to have an 8 point win against an ACC squad. State not expected to do a lot in the ACC, but always nice to match our top 300 type of recruits against a squad with top 75 type of recruits."

    Thats a BIG problem if our top 75 guys get beat by top 300 guys....... Im not throwing in the towel yet until I see them play a team w/ my own eyes and can make an educated assesment... But work is OBVIOUSLY needed if we could only put up 55pts.

  55. Anonymous said...
    October 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM

    wouldn't put anything into that "hearsay". very young team, i'm sure they were just trying out different line-ups and plays, trying to figure out what works best, used it more as a practice than a game. i'm sure we'll be ready to destroy st. paul's by the 5th.

  56. dsmith9690 said...
    October 26, 2009 at 10:49 AM

    is he playing point guard for hargrave?

  57. Anonymous said...
    October 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM

    If it's any consolation, Richmond is a legitimate team, they will contend for the A10 title this year and I remember they gave Wake a run for their money last year, they are also returning 4 of 5 starters I think...

  58. Afterglow said...
    October 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM

    A mere spider bite; we'll work through it. Not worried. I were Lowe I would definitely do everything in my power to check out different line ups do some playing around and such.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates