Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Scott Wood: Senior Season Recap and Interview


Scott Wood knows how to win...period. This three-year starter led the Marion Giants to a 21-4 record this season while pacing them with 24.8ppg. Scott definitely left his dent in the Marion record books. His 1,309 points land him at 9th All-Time in the Giant's storied school history. He also finished his career as the school's deadliest free-throw shooter as well as the most prolific three-point threat the school has ever seen.

We have mentioned this in the past and we will reiterate it again, Coach Lowe is bringing in winners, players who understand how to finish games. Scott Wood fits the bill to a tee. He has helped lead Marion to three straight North Central Conference championships, three straight Class 4-A Sectional championships, and three straight appearances in the Regional Championship game (The Giants were Regional Champs in '07 and '08, they lost in the Regional Championship game this season.). They also made it to the State Title game last season only to lose at the buzzer.

Scott's performance this past season didn't go unnoticed by any means. Scott was one of the finalists for the Mr. Basketball award in Indiana, and he was also named to the AP First-Team All-State squad. Here is the rest of the crew joining Wood on the First-Team: Indiana's Mr. Basketball Jordan Hulls (Committed to Indiana, 4-Star recruit, SR, PG), power forward Derek Elston (Committed to Indiana, 4-Star recruit, SR), small forward D.J. Byrd (Committed to Purdue, 3-Star recruit, SR), and power forward sensation DeShaun Thomas (Committed to Ohio State, 5-Star recruit, JR). Being dubbed First-Team All-State in Indiana is an unbelievable accolade. Indiana and High School basketball are attached at the hip, it's historically been a hot bed of top national talent for years.

Scott also will be playing this Sunday at 4pm in the annual Indiana North vs. South All-Star Game where he looks to help carry the North team, seeing that his 24.8 season scoring average is the highest on his team's roster.

We actually got the chance to catch up with Scott last night. We thought that he, better than anyone else, could help us give a recap of this past season and a forecast of his future. One of our goals here at Wolfpack Hoops is to help you learn more about Pack players, not only on the floor, but off as well. Have fun getting to know Mr. Wood a little bit better:

WolfpackHoops: What was it about NC State that compelled you to commit to them?

Wood: One of the big things for me was the fact that Julius was down there. When Coach Towe and Coach Lowe were recruiting Julius I got to see how they carried themselves and how they went about their business and I was really impressed. I also loved the fact that I could go from Indiana, which is a top-notch high school basketball state, to a top-notch college basketball area like Tobacco Road. I was also excited to go from a high school that is rich with history and tradition to a college like NC State that is also rich with history and tradition.

WolfpackHoops: How often do you speak with the Pack coaching staff and what have they been telling you?

Wood: I talk to Coach Towe quite often and I also talk with Coach Lowe once every week or two. They have been really challenging me to work on my leadership skills and they have given me a lot of good advice. It's really awesome to learn leadership from two of the best point guards to ever play college basketball. I've typically been the type of guy that leads by example. This past season, with Julius being gone, I had to grow as a leader. I had to take on more of a vocal role.

WolfpackHoops: What are you looking forward to the most about getting down to NC State?

Wood: When I get down to there I know everyone is going to push me and make me play harder. We have a lot of talent up here in Indiana, but there is no competition like the ACC. More than anything I'm excited because I know I am going to learn and get better.

WolfpackHoops: This past season had to be a stretching season for you due to the fact that you played a majority of the year at the point guard position, which has not been your normal position on the wing. We talked with your Coach a couple weeks back and we discussed how we thought that one day you would look back on this season and realize how much it shaped you as a player. What do you think?

Wood: I think playing point guard this past season is really going to help me a lot in the future. I think at my height (6'6) being able to dribble the ball up the court will make me more diverse. I probably will be playing the 3, or even some at the 2, in the future and being able to put the ball on the floor will be really important.

WolfpackHoops: Is there any player that you have tried to pattern your game after?

Wood: I've actually never tried to mimic or imitate any particular player. However, the other day my dad and I were actually sitting around talking about this exact same thing. My dad and I actually decided that my game is very similar to Ray Allen's and Josh Howard's.

WolfpackHoops: We really want the Wolfpack Nation to get to know Scott beyond the realm of basketball. Tell us Scott, what defines you as a person?

Wood: I would say that I have pretty good character. I enjoy trying to be a good role model for the young kids here at Marion. My family is also very important to me and it has been hard because all of my extended family has moved away from here. I also have a 3.5 GPA and I will be majoring in Civil Engineering at NC State. Actually when I was looking at colleges that was one of the most important things for me. My dad always told me that you are going to want to go to a school that has the major that you are interested in. The fact that NC State is a really strong engineering was really important to me.

WolfpackHoops: If you could give a shout out to the Wolfpack Nation what would you tell them?

Wood: I know that we haven't made the tournament in awhile but Coach Lowe is putting the pieces together and he is bringing in winners. I think there is no need to worry. I believe that Coach Lowe knows what he is doing. I'm going to NC State to win games. I'm going to NC State to win National Championships. I committed to NC State because I want to be a good player on a great team.


Earlier this season someone at ESPN stated that in a couple years people will look back and realize that Scott Wood was the biggest sleeper in the 2009 class. We can't wait to see that prophecy come to fruition. Scott is a tremendous talent and a tremendous young man. We are privileged at NC State to have Scott Wood donning the Red and White. Thanks Scott!

April 1, 2009

comments

26 Responses to "Scott Wood: Senior Season Recap and Interview"
  1. Anonymous said...
    April 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM

    This guy is going to be something special. I am really looking forward to him running with the Pack! He has the game and the character which should represent NC State well.

  2. Anonymous said...
    April 1, 2009 at 10:29 PM

    I like how our coaches are encouraging leadership.

  3. ashley-eliz city said...
    April 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM

    november cant get here soon enough for me,i think its going to be great seeing you and julius on the court at the same time,i know you cant wait,that should be special for you guys

  4. Anonymous said...
    April 1, 2009 at 11:50 PM

    i have a feeling state fans will be loving scott wood from day one. i've loved watching his highlights for the past year, and i can't wait to see him put on that State jersey. keep up the good work Scott!

  5. WolfCop said...
    April 2, 2009 at 1:25 AM

    Thanks WH. Are you going to have something on Zo soon?

  6. ppack3 said...
    April 2, 2009 at 7:26 AM

    Scott is a very impressive person. Good job WPH! This might be the best interview that I have read (with a Pack recruit). Thanks for making my day, WPH and Mr. Wood!

  7. Black Mtn Pack said...
    April 2, 2009 at 8:31 AM

    I love the attitude that Scott is bringing to the team! These kind of guys will help us get back to where we belong. I remember another sleeper,lanky kid named Vinny Del Negro that was a great find for us and Scott initially reminds me of him. Thanks for the interview WH.

  8. Anonymous said...
    April 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM

    Great interview guys!!!

    Look forward to Scott Making a BIG impact as soon as he hits the floor. It as been a while since we have had a great pure shooter!!!

    To me he reminds me alot of john schyer from duke esp since he can handle to ball well....

  9. Unknown said...
    April 2, 2009 at 8:50 AM

    National Championships!

  10. Anonymous said...
    April 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM

    Thank God we found one of the last engineering science minded basketball players. Who would have thought that a game foundedmentally rooted in angels could have someone interested in this type of design in real life. Kidding.

    I like that he sounds like he wants to continue being a great student at a acclaimed instituition of higher learning. Compare that to what he said about athletics:
    "I want to be a good player on a great team."

    Bottom line, it's a team game and putting every ounce of effort to that cause is the only way.

    Way to go Scott, State fans are proud that you chose to come here.

    -Jose

  11. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 2, 2009 at 9:30 AM

    We're glad you enjoyed the interview. Scott is a real class act and we're excited to have him in red and white next year.


    ** If possible we'd really appreciate it if everyone would take the 2 minutes it takes to sign in or sign up for a "tagname" so we know who's posting. Our goal is to try to make this a community where NC State fans can come, know each other, and discuss the program in a differnt, more positive type of atmosphere.
    Thanks!

  12. davispack said...
    April 2, 2009 at 10:48 AM

    I have posted as anonymous several times here but I have taken your advice and gotten a user name.

    Scott Wood looks to be an amazing find. A really great player with the ability to core anywhere on the court. He looks to be athletic and his ball handling skills are really good. IMHO, he will make a great addition to our team. Welcome to the Pack Scott.

  13. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM

    davispack,
    thank you, we really appreciate it!

  14. packattack95 said...
    April 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM

    Took the plunge, been posting anonymous too, but this site is way too good to miss the boat on! Great job Wolfpack Hoops! I look forward to checking your site out several times a day! Go Pack!

  15. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 2, 2009 at 11:12 AM

    glad to have you PackAttack95!

  16. JA said...
    April 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM

    It is nice to read about the Pack with out all the bashing. Look forward to watching this site grow!

  17. Anonymous said...
    April 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

    Wolfpack Hoops,
    I've posted anonymous a few times, but figured I go ahead and get an ID. Keep up the great work, and keep us posted on any scoop about Cousins or Wall. Does DeMarcus Cousins know about this site? Any chance you guys can line up an interview with him? Go Pack!

  18. Mr. Duprey said...
    April 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM

    I've read that starting at the age of 10 Scott was a dead eye. In the finals of the national Elks Club Hoop Shoot he placed second after connecting on 24-25 ft attempts.

    At age 10 I placed second in my state for the same event and I can vividly remember sweating bullets sitting there waiting my turn. I made 15 while winner made atleast 20.

    I think Scott will surprise alot of people in the different ways he can score the ball. His quick release and size are going to cause problems for guys to guard him on the perimeter. He should be able to get a fake up and penetrate better then a player with his quickness ought to.

    Judging from the video once Scott steps through past his defender he is a serious offensive threat by his ability to draw contact and still get his shot off.

    This works especially well when a team chooses to go zone and defenders will be flying out to get in Scotts face. That is what seperates Scott from players like Fergueson and Ogilsvy of Clemson- he wants to get to the charity stripe.

  19. davispack said...
    April 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

    ^ I agree jose. Scott seems to be a great scorer. I have read some things that have labeled him a pure shooter and I don't really agree. Sure he has some pure shooter characteristics but Scott seems to be an all around scorer who can hurt his opponents in many different ways. He is really going to be great.

  20. sf59 said...
    April 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM

    this kid is crafty with and without the ball. he will be fun to watch

    i love his deeeep pull ups... holy moly

  21. Anonymous said...
    April 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM

    Cant wait to see you make it rain from behind the arc Scott! Welcome to the Pack!

  22. Franklin St. Wolf said...
    April 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM

    Scott has drawn my eye from the early days, and I would like to think of him as a taller, more level headed, better ball skills, Ogelsby type. There were some games for Clemson where he stretched their leads singlehandedly. A few games this year we were just one 3 away from putting games on ice. Great pickup and welcome!

    Don't be confused by my screen name, I was born and raised right by downtown Chapel Hill to a house divided State/unc family. I tip the scales to Red's favor with my allegiance! Thanks for the great work on this site and Go Pack!

  23. WoodFan4Life said...
    April 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM

    I just wanted to post a note thanking Wolfpack Hoops for this website. It is a breath of fresh air. I am Scott Wood's aunt and although I have never really heard anything bad on the other site about him, this site is positive about everything starting with the fans, the coaches, and on down the line. We are very excited about Scott's choice to attend NC State and look forward to watching him for the next 4 years in red and white. Thanks again for the site and the great posts! Your website is one of my daily stops! Thanks again!

  24. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 2, 2009 at 10:40 PM

    Woodfan4life,
    Thank you so much for the compliment and we truly are excited for Scott to join the Wolfpack family!

  25. RobotPack7000 said...
    April 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM

    WolfpackHoops,

    This is my first post here, but you know I've been sneaking around the site for a while now. Scott Wood sounds like a class act. This quote set it off, "I'm going to NC State to win National Championships. I committed to NC State because I want to be a good player on a great team." It's good to see some proven winners coming in. Holla at a robot...?

  26. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 3, 2009 at 8:34 AM

    RobotPack,
    We've been awaiting your arrival. Glad to have you signed up.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates