Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Josh Powell's Hard Work Paying Off


The 2009 NBA Playoffs have proven to be a milestone of epic proportions for Josh Powell. Prior to suiting up with the Lakers this season, Josh had seen action in a total of 10 playoff games with the Dallas Mavericks and the Golden State Warriors. Tomorrow night Josh and the Lakers will step on the court for their 10th game of the 2009 Playoffs. In the opening game of the playoffs Josh dropped in his first career post-season field goal. Last night the milestones continued to pile up. The Lakers took Game 5 in an authoritative manner, crushing the Rockets 118-78. Josh scored 10 points and grabbed 3 boards in 16 minutes of play - all of these statistics being All-Time Playoff highs for him. We got the chance to catch up with Josh on Monday night before last night's game.

Give us a summary of what your life has been like since you left the Pack.

"It's been a long road. I started off overseas and then went to the D-League and eventually got signed by the Dallas Mavericks. I've had to work extremely hard and be patient. Throughout all of this, I've gotten married and we have two children. It's all been a blessing."

What has been your greatest moment so far in the NBA?

"I would have to definitely say my very first game in the NBA against the Denver Nuggets. I think I played 5 minutes and grabbed 2 rebounds. Also, when I got my first double-double ranks pretty high up there as well."

How do you like L.A.?

"I love it. The weather is great. The way that the fans treat you is great. It's nice being so close to the beach. If you want some good personal time there are a lot of things you can do for entertainment."

What is it like playing for a team with as much history as the Lakers?

"What can I say, they are the team of all teams. It is one of the experiences that you will never ever forget. There is so much history and tradition. It is great to go to other cities and see how they treat you because you are a Laker. We are a tight group that have a lot of fun playing together."

What do you do when you come back to N.C. in the off-season?

"I pretty much live in the gym. I work out 2, sometimes 3 times a day doing different things. I the morning I do individual work which involves skill work, conditioning and lifting weights. In the afternoons I play ball with a lot of guys on the NC State team. I still keep in contact with guys like Brandon Costner, Courtney Fells and Simon Harris. Last year I also played in the NC Pro-Am Basketball League that Jerry Stackhouse helps put together, and it was a lot of fun."

What do you like to do in your spare time? Any hobbies and interests?

"Obviously I'm a very competitive person. I like to play pool and go bowling. I'm also a big movie watcher. Two shows I'm really into right now are 24 and Family Guy."

I know that you still have plans to come back and finish your degree. What will your degree be in?

"I'm definitely going to finish my degree. I promised my mother that I would do that. My degree will be in Business Management."

Josh, we appreciate you doing an interview with us. Just let us know if there is anything we can do or promote for you. We appreciate how you represent the Pack.

"I appreciate it. I am hoping to do some camps when I get back to North Carolina and I might be playing in the Pro-Am League and would love the Pack fans to come. I'll let you know."


Josh is a great guy and we were honored to talk with him. He truly does represent our university well. We'll continue to keep you up to date on how Josh is doing. Make sure to check out Josh and the Lakers in Game 6 tomorrow night at 9:30pm on ESPN.

comments

10 Responses to "Josh Powell's Hard Work Paying Off"
  1. Anonymous said...
    May 13, 2009 at 2:13 PM

    Is this the big news to tune back in for?

  2. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    May 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM

    Didnt say big news, just said a great interview you might want to tune in for...no Painter news as of yet. We're working on it, dont worry.

  3. John Doe said...
    May 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

    I believe if Josh would have come back for his senior year, the year we went to the sweet sixteen, was our best chances in recent memory at a title. Oh well.... I guess we'll just have to wait til 2009-10 ;)

  4. Anonymous said...
    May 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

    Great interview, wish we still had him on the pack

  5. Anonymous said...
    May 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM

    Great Interview WPH! Still wish Josh would have stayed another year I thikn it would have helped his stock out a ton.

    How the heck did you get hooked up with an NBA player in the middle of a playoff run? BRILLIANT!

  6. Anonymous said...
    May 13, 2009 at 5:20 PM

    Awesome interview! Josh is a great rep for State!

  7. Anonymous said...
    May 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM

    Great interview. I have always been a big supporter of Josh and am glad to hear he is proud to be a member of the Pack.

  8. Eric said...
    May 13, 2009 at 8:50 PM

    Easy to overlook this interview with all the good news coming today, but let's not forget the history that great players like Powell meant to the pack. I appreciate the interview, wish him good luck in the playoffs, and hope to see him around in Raleigh.

    Thanks WPH.

  9. Anonymous said...
    May 13, 2009 at 11:06 PM

    josh is a great represenative of NC State and good to hear that he comes back and support the PACK and keeps in contact with the guys...For good interview...

  10. Unknown said...
    May 14, 2009 at 11:33 AM

    Pretty classy for Josh to do an interview during the playoffs!

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates