Monday, June 22, 2009

Catching Up With Brandon Costner


With the NBA Draft coming up this Thursday night, we thought that we would catch up with Brandon Costner to see how he is feeling with the big day approaching. The former McDonald's All-American has been trying to show that he belongs in the NBA by attending every workout possible and leaving with positive feedback wherever he has been. Here is how our conversation with Brandon broke down:

WPH:How have the NBA workouts been going and what has been the feedback that you’ve been getting?

Costner: Things have been going very well. I'm very upbeat. I had my last workout with the Nets 2 days ago. In all of the workouts I thought I really played well, and showed these guys that I belong and that I’m an NBA player. I'm really excited.

WPH: What has the competition been like at the NBA workouts?

Costner: The competition has been tough. Each workout is different and the intensity varies. Some teams run you to death and then play you to see if you will quit. Other are more interested in seeing your skills by doing drills and playing games of 3-on-3 and 1-on-1.

WPH: Obviously your pursuing a career in basketball, but what are some of your other aspirations in life? What do you plan on doing "when the ball stops bouncing"?

Costner: Hopefully I can milk basketball as long as possible. But my future lies in youth. I would like to develop a basketball academy and teach the game and teach fundamentals. I want to be a leader and a mentor to younger people. I would also like to start a non-profit organization one day that gives inner city kids the chance to learn to play sports that they might not be accustomed to like golf and tennis. I really want to do as much as I can to affect as many young people as I can. So many people were instrumental in helping me become the person I am today and I want to do the same for others.

WPH: How would you describe your time at NC State?

Costner: I really enjoyed my time. I was there all four years. I gave the school all I had. Obviously I wish we could have been more successful, but I wouldn’t change anything for the world.

WPH: What is your favorite memory from playing basketball with the Pack?

Costner: I would have to say making the tournament finals my Freshmen year. My biggest thing is winning and we were playing some of our best basketball then.

WPH: What is your relationship like with Coach Lowe?

Costner: I have a real good relationship with Coach Lowe. I talked with him 2 days ago to give him an update on how every thing is going. It’s the type of relationship that a player should have with his coach.

WPH: Why did you decide to forego your Senior season?

Costner: It really had a lot to do with me graduating. I also think that it is hard to ignore the grumbling around campus and from the Wolfpack Nation about how many wanted to see the old regime out of there. When the majority of people had negative things to say to me, I kind of got the feeling that it was my time.

WPH: How much do you think the negativity of the fanbase and media outlets affects you as a player and the team as a whole?

Costner: I wouldn’t say that it consumes us, but we definitely hear it. Seeing that this is a our job, we understand that it is part of the territory and we are used to it. The ignorant rumors and people saying that we don’t care about the university and that we don’t care about winning hurt. Half the people don’t know how much goes into what we do every day. Bottom line nobody loses on purpose. It’s the paper, it’s the friends at school who read this stuff religiously. They come up and say "did you see what so and so said about you." Then we go and see what people have said. One of the biggest things was the year that J.J. was here. I think that as a team it affected us and we were out there trying our best and they are saying that we have chemistry issues and that Gavin is messing with my girlfriend. The thing is, we all get along and we are a really tight team. I mean we all hang out outside of basketball.

WPH: Did all of this negativity leave a bad taste in your mouth when it comes to your opinion of NC State?

Costner:I definitely don’t have a bad taste in my mouth. I truly believe that the State fans that supported me and my teammates and the people that are really positive and love the university made my time at State worthwhile.

WPH: What relationships did you develop with your teammates that you think will last into the future?

Costner: From day one on campus me and Courtney have kind of been inseparable. I talk with Ben, Simon and Trevor every day. We all became very close especially because of everything we went through. I see us doing that through the rest of my life. All of the NC State alumni and the present team make a big Wolfpack family. People like Josh Powell, Marcus Melvin and Anthony Grundy have come back and been big impacts on all of us. They all come back and play and workout in the summer. If we are not talking every day then it is every week. All of us have a lasting bond and friendship. It's a huge family. I talked with Engin all last year and he is one of my best friends. They are the ones that teach us how to be student athletes and better people.

WPH: Are you going to be like the Alumni that you have mentioned, coming back in the summers and pouring into the Pack players?

Costner: Oh definitely. I want to come back and be one of the guys like Josh Powell, who took me under his wing. I want to come back and pass on the tradition.

WPH: Thank you so much for your time Brandon. We wish you the best and look forward to following you wherever you go.


We really appreciate Brandon's honesty and transparency. I hope that this interview will be read by as many State fans as possible. I think Brandon's words are important to hear. The words that we say and the words that we type can truly be detrimental to the health of our Basketball program.

Thank you Brandon for all that you gave to this university!

comments

34 Responses to "Catching Up With Brandon Costner"
  1. KChill said...
    June 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM

    Wow...the WPH interviews keep getting better. Good luck BC!

  2. Pack Leader said...
    June 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  3. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 12:32 PM

    Thank you BC!!

    I believe anyone with any negative overtones to recite on this article their comments should be left off it!! This kid has represented our University with grace and humanility. He was one of great players to play for our school. Good luck Brandon and thank you for your candor on the ignorance with our fanbase! I hope your NBA goals are all met this Thursday.

  4. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 12:43 PM

    I am amazed how good this site is. I am absolutely thrilled that it works hard to promote the positive from the State b-ball players. As for Brandon, awesome stuff. I hope(and am sure based on his comments) that he realizes that far more State fans were for him than against him.

  5. Pack Leader said...
    June 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM

    my oppologies if i offended anyone WPH. Not sure what i said that would validate a deleted comment, esp with the positve comments i left about BC and even complimented the interview. I simply was trying to say maybe his talent was able to be tapped with the team he was on. Wish him all the best.

  6. Michael G. said...
    June 22, 2009 at 1:08 PM

    Wow - Great interview and great questions. I love this site! I'm also glad you gave Brandon a chance to reflect on some of the negative aspects of playing at the college level. I doubt we'd ever read those comments in mainstream media.

    Reading Brandon's comments reminds me of when Fells was having sub-par games at the end of last season. Several comments were made suggesting that "he wasn't trying". A couple months ago, I read an interview with him (possibly on this site) where he said that at that time he had an injured ankle and probably should have been sitting on the bench.

    Thanks BC and WPH!

  7. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    June 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM

    Pack Leader - you are a great contributor on this site and we appreciate your input. No problems here, don't worry about it.

  8. Rufftown Wolf said...
    June 22, 2009 at 1:17 PM

    I wish you well Brandon, you do belong in the NBA and I hope you get your chance to prove that.

  9. Pack Leader said...
    June 22, 2009 at 1:18 PM

    Sounds good thanks WPH!

  10. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 1:20 PM

    that was one very insightful interview... thx

    -sf59

  11. HaveYouHuggedYourWolfToday? said...
    June 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM

    I appreciate him saying: "I have a real good relationship with Coach Lowe." I keep hearing about these "chemistry" issues that there's no real evidence of. Lowe has consistently said that Fells was a "joy to coach". Costner has a good relationship with Lowe. McCauley was practice player of the year (big, big kudos to Lowe for creating that award and giving it to a starter first to establish it as a real award and not a toss-off for a walk-on) and Lowe consistently gushed about his effort. The chemistry issues look like a mutual admiration society!

  12. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 2:38 PM

    Brandon,

    Let me say that as a member of the athletic department I commend you for your candor. We do not police the comments said on our blogs and as for someone that has read many absolutely horrible comments about not just Brandon but many players on our team. Brandon involvement with the United Way Foundation and the Darfur project are just some of the things that have gone unsaid about this young man. There hasn't been another Basketball player give as much as Brandon has in the last several years. If any NBA team is reading the comments you would be foolish not take this young man as part of your organization.

    Wonderful Brandon...

  13. KDub said...
    June 22, 2009 at 3:08 PM

    A lot was said in that interview in my opinion.

    People seem to forget these are kids and they have no idea what is going on behind closed doors. Just because someone doesn't live up to YOUR expectations, doesn't mean they are not trying their best.

  14. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM

    Great article!!!

    Brandon you definitely are a class individual. I feel extremely bad for all the bad comments written by our fanbase. You represented our University with class and dignity!! I hope all your NBA dreams comes true!! If can ask; play for the bobcats!!!

    Thank you, Brandon!!!

  15. robpack said...
    June 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM

    Best interview yet WPH! I often hear and read that the players could care less or don't even know what is being typed or said about them. This is proof and should be taken very seriously from this point on. I am glad that he came out and said what he did. Top shelf.

  16. ppack3 said...
    June 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM

    Great interview, WPH's. Brandon is a great guy. It is unfortunate that college athletes are scrutinized the way that they are these days. But, Brandon mentioned a point that I have always made about this subject. The players know that they are in a spotlight. I admire Brandon for dealing with his spotlight in the manner that he has. That is very admirable and shows the character of the man. Having said all of that, there are portions of every fan base that are overly critical of their school's athletes. Some of those factions are noisier than others, albeit. But, in Raleigh those voices are magnified by the local media and the other two schools in the area.
    WPH's is a haven for the greatful Wolfpack fan. I hope it is also a sanctuary for past, current and future Wolfpack players.
    Brandon, thank you for your four years of service. Your run to the finals was the stuff dreams are made of. Good luck in all of your future endeavors.
    WPFans, WPH's is right about the negative things that are written by us. But, I want to point out that the positive things are read, too.
    High profile players MUST take what is written about them with a grain of salt, much like a review of a play. You can't let criticism set you back, and you can't let too much praise go to your head. These are maturing young men in a fast paced lime-light. The have accepted these roles, for better or worse. Our job is to support them in their highs and lows. We are lucky to have an outlet, in WPH, to do just that. Go Pack!

  17. rdmcleanII said...
    June 22, 2009 at 6:29 PM

    I've always liked Brandon and I never questioned his love for the university. The thing that always brought on the negative comments came from the times when it seemed like he "gave up" in game situations. He always had the talent and that frustrated the fan base. If he will give it his all on the next level (which I know he will), then he will be a very good role player in the league. Best of luck Brandon!!!

  18. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

    Impressive stuff WPH

    -JerseyWolf

  19. simspack said...
    June 22, 2009 at 8:14 PM

    Why is http://www.wolfpackhoops.com trying to take me to a Quick Shopping Cart online store? Right now, only http://wolfpackhoops.blogspot.com is working...

  20. redfred said...
    June 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM

    WOW! I'm going to lay low, but that was certainly a very telling interview on a variety of levels!

    Very nice work WPH!, and good luck Brandon!

  21. Anonymous said...
    June 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM

    We need to pass this interview on to everyone at packpride, the wolfpacker, the wolfweb, and statefansnation. We need to quit all the negative comments and all the stupid conspiracy theories. what we say does get back to players and recruits. Im not saying we can't be critical if someone has a bad game, but we need to know, what is posted on these boards does get back to them

  22. Anonymous said...
    June 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM

    The thing about the internet is that it allows people to say whatever crap comes into their heads anonymously. Sometimes people say things they don't mean just to get a kick out of others or because they are upset about a loss. It would be a perfect world if everyone was always nice all the time, but every message board at every university has the exact same problems. That's just the internet.

    I appreciate BC for coming to NCSU and I wish him nothing but the best. I also seriously hope he realizes that this is a problem with the internet not a specific university.

  23. Werewolf in Franklinton said...
    June 23, 2009 at 8:22 AM

    WPH

    This is off topic but on the PP boards there has been some talk about a 4* 6'9 C named Demontrae Harris from Fayetteville that we are looking at, a site moderator, who in the past has seemed to have some inside contacts, said he is one to watch. Have you guys heard anything about Harris.

  24. JimValvano said...
    June 23, 2009 at 9:14 AM

    Wow! Great interview! Its nice to see a site help to paint a picture of the wolfpack nation and our athletes in a positive light. Other sites are overly negative, but over the years we've been forced to go to these sites in order to find information on our team. Now I've found Wolfpack Hoops and I can get fact based stories and share opinions with other true diehard wolfpack fans. True fans don't turn their backs on the team or the players, and I'm glad Brandon acknowledges people like the ones that come to this site and comment in the interview. Good luck Brandon in accomplishing your dreams.

  25. Pack Leader said...
    June 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM

    Werewolf In Franklinton-

    Heres an artlice about Demontrae Harris from Fayetteville. The article says he is a top 10 C in the nation.

    http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/06/21/911515

  26. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    June 23, 2009 at 10:18 AM

    Hey guys, Brandon texted us yesterday to thank us for the interview that, for the first time, allowed him to give his side of the story. He was really appreciative of all the feedback and the people who wrote in and thanked him.

  27. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    June 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM

    Demontrae Harris is a newer name on the scene but when we talked to our source he gave us his name as one to watch. He told us that the staff wants to evaluate him further in July. We want to get a chance to see him before we give any kind of opinion on him on here, but we certainly will keep you updated.

  28. MCG said...
    June 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM

    great interview WPH. Thank you for your time here Brandon. We appreciate all of your effort and sacrifice you gave to this University. You will always be a part of the Wolfpack.

  29. DC Wuff said...
    June 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM

    Great interview. Thanks WPH and Brandon.

    TOTAL CLASS from Brandon.

  30. redfred said...
    June 23, 2009 at 5:44 PM

    This is a interview, but I for one, would like to read more interviews just like this one, but much earlier on, while these kids are starting out HERE in Raleigh.

    Maybe it's just me, but back before the collapse of BB as we know it Raleigh, I used to have a feel for the players as people. At least I thought I did anyway. That was looong ago though, and now I cannot quite put my finger on why that there no longer seems to be an opportunity to gain an insight into what makes these kids/players tick anymore these days?

    Is it NC State's inability to properly promote ANYTHING they do??? Or is it because the sports media in general, doesn't bother to cover NC State's athletics like they once did, and for very good reason???

  31. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    June 23, 2009 at 5:58 PM

    ^ and that is one reason we decided to start WolfpackHoops. I'm not sure if you read our CJ Williams interview last week, but that is the type of thing we're going to continue to do throughout the offseason and whenever possible during the season.

  32. Anonymous said...
    June 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

    Thanks for 2006 Brandon

  33. ppack3 said...
    June 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM

    Redfred, You're right. Back in the day, it seemed like we knew more about the guys coming into Raleigh, and followed their lives for four years. You don't have to look far to see some reasons why you don't get that 'personal' feeling, anymore.
    The players and coaches have been put through incredible scrutiny. Any interview quote that can be manipulated will be contorted to suit a ratings driven media.
    I don't think that it has as much to do with NC State, in particular, but more so a consequence of the sport getting bigger.
    Also, think about how few outlets there are for getting your NC State sports fix. There aren't many (of substance). The transcript of Sid's presser, here on WPH's, illustrates how effective this site is at quenching our BB thirst. Generally, Sid holds a press conference and we see a couple of quotes in a story in the N&O, or on WRAL, that includes a couple of Sid's quotes surrounded by some anecdotal jargon that is slanted to fit the title at the top of the article. Even this scenario is dwindling, as the N&O thins and WRAL (Sportsfan) now covers NCSU athletics less and less.
    If you have the time to listen to talk radio, as infuriating as that can be, then you MAY get some coverage on 850, 620 or 99.9. And then there are opinionated blogs. That's it. If ESPN, or any other national sports outlet, picks up a NC State story, it is a regurgitated piece from 'day old,' local information and is as impersonal as it gets.
    I want to personally thank WPH's for taking the initiative to breathe some life back into our Athletics Program. The personal touch is, as redfred pointed out, something that has been missing for far too long. I am looking forward to making our players feel as much like family as our coaches make them feel. Brandon Costner (and others, ex. Damien Wilkins) were vilified for the sake of a story. That venom trickles down to the coaches, to the players and to the fans. This should NEVER happen without our fans coming to that player's side, and defending their family.
    Sorry for the off topic rant, but some things, to me, are important to discuss when brought to the forefront. Thanks. And, Go Pack!

  34. redfred said...
    June 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM

    WPH, I was in a hurry when I typed that post, but I was thinking about it and did want to say something to thank you guys for doing exactly what you are on this site!!!
    But then again, ppack3 came though for me, and said it better than I ever could have anyway.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates