Monday, October 19, 2009

'09 Red Rally At Reynolds: Dunk Contest


comments

22 Responses to "'09 Red Rally At Reynolds: Dunk Contest"
  1. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM

    We're having trouble with the Red Rally Highlight Video, and are remaking it. It will be back up later in the day.

    Here is the dunk contest and stay tuned for more as the day goes on.

  2. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM

    sick! Vandenberg is going to be a stud one day, mark my words.

  3. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM

    The Red Rally at Reynolds Highlight Reel is back up right underneath this video. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

  4. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM

    No updates on the CJ Leslie story?

  5. Unknown said...
    October 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM

    Get Up big fella! Woooooo! Love to see that athleticism from a big guy.

    We need to get some weight on him. PB&J sandwiches, 2 per night right before bed. He should have another 25-30 lbs if he follows that diet.

  6. redfred said...
    October 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM

    JOR-DAN VAN-denbbeeeerrrg!!!

  7. Pack Leader said...
    October 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM

    What didnt show up in the video that really stood out to me was his high level of comfort w/ the ball in his hands before the dunk. He would stand watching others dribbling the ball between his legs and just having some fun before his dunks but it showed me he is very cordinated and has the ability to handle the rock unlike so many 7 footers.

    W/ the way he hustles in practice up and down and his hard working attitude, I have no doubt he will add strength (not just weight) and become a very reliable center. His defensive game is already ACC ready its his offensive game that he must work on through out the year. Tracey is the most experienced player we have and he said it best, big V needing to work on post moves and back to the basket plays but he is already a force on defense.

    One intangable i already love in Big V is his attack attitude. If you notice after each dunk hes got a serious "dont mess with me" look on his face that i can see translating right away for our team. IMO its very similar to how Tommy Burrleson had a mean streak in him and would get so fired up he would motivate others around him. I can just see him swatting a shot 5 rows in the stands and having a look of "Get that crap out of my Kitchen!!!"

    I was actually pretty impressed w/ Farnolds 360 dunk. For his height that was very impressive, if he was 6'6 that would have been a perfect score.

  8. Eric said...
    October 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM

    I think my comments were lost when the previous video was reposted. Where there any big surprises (other than Pack Leader's vote for big JV)...good or bad? Were there any sets or player combos that seemed to be better than others? How did Josh Davis do? Anyone get a look at Howell...he look trimmer?

    The little bit I was able to see on the internet showed me that Scott Wood is the player we thought he was going to be, and Painter is as long as smooth as we thought he was going to be.

    Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

  9. Eric said...
    October 19, 2009 at 1:05 PM

    And yes, I too have been looking for CJL info all morning. Nobody seems to know what was up.

  10. Pack Leader said...
    October 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM

    Eric I did notice, and I think a few bloggers agreed after it was over on friday, that Mays and Wood seemed obviously comfortable w/ eachother and could read eachother pretty well. Several times Julius was able to find Wood coming off a screen and it was obvious they could feed off eachother. IMO no matter who starts at PG, keep those two on the same line for the time being because continuity is so important and those two have history.

    Howell was wearing sweatpants and a baggy hoodie so it was hard to get an idea of his physique but in interviews Smith talked about his good worth ethic while he was healthy.

    Davis' presence will be felt on the defensive end for sure right away, still having work to do on his offensive game. He is atcually taller than I expected, not much shorter than Smith IMO. He has great athletic ability and he had a good runner from the side of the basket that he was fouled on. Hes a hustle player w/ a high celing for right now

  11. Alum02 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM

    Per Dave Telep on the Scout national board...

    "IMO, this one is heading to the spring unless NC State can get him done early. To me, just has the look and feel of a recruitment that is going to take a long time. There's little urgency now to make much of a move. I was at WOG a week before the visit and couldn't get an answer as to the certainty of the trip.

    DT"

  12. Shark Attack said...
    October 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM

    I like seeing coach Lowe get excited after Vandenberg's between the leg dunk at the end. At least he is happy. Considering the pressure he must feel, it must be hard to maintain enthusiasm.

  13. Pack Leader said...
    October 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM

    Alum02 Nice find I couldnt find ANYTHING on Leslie... sounds like nobody can...

    "Considering the pressure he(Sid) must feel, it must be hard to maintain enthusiasm."

    I disagree these are his players I think for him it would be easier to remain enthusiastic since he was in these boys homes promising them opportunity and convincing their parents NC State is right. I think he should be AS enthusiastic as ever w/ his players gettin in place. He knows the future is bright in next several years.

  14. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM

    We're working on a big article with a lot of quotes from Coach Lowe's press conference and I think, from the quotes, you'll see that Coach Lowe is not really feeling 'pressured' this season.

    He wants to win and I he feels comfortable with what he has, but when asked about his 'job security' he kept saying that the program is on the right track, and that the future of this program is bright.

    Now of course he knows he has to win soon, but I don't think he's feeling 'win now or else' type pressure.

  15. Unknown said...
    October 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM

    Pack Leader,
    I noticed that look on his face too. I also Loved how after an offensive play for his team he had that look too as he was hauling ass back down the court to play defense. I was extremely impressed with him.

  16. wolfranger said...
    October 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

    While watching these dunks again, I was wowed even more by how smooth Bid J Vandenburg already is. You could tell he was smooth at the Red Rally, but from the upper deck it just wasn't this impressive. On that last dunk he just lands, grabs the ball and starts dribbling again. Incredible! I can't wait for him to dominate on the offense as well as the defense like he is expected to.

    Go Pack!

  17. Earl '96 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM

    I am really impressed that a 7 footer is so comfortable with the ball and has the coordination to go between the legs on a dunk. I really expected nothing from Big V when he was first signed because our recent track record with 7 footers has been forgettable. However, after seeing his clips, I am really siked. He does not have the body to bang down low but I say in 2 years maybe he will be ready to do exactly that.

  18. ppack3 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM

    For me, too, it was JV's coordination. and like Pack Leader said, not just with the dunks, but JV looked extremely comfortable with his handles all night.

    There were some moments on the offensive end when you saw a learning curve that has to take place. But Smith is right, JV is already a force on the defense. And, Smith should know. He's had more than a few shots altered by the Aussie already, in practice, and a couple in the scrimmage.

    I was also impressed with JV's hops, and his ability to catch the ball and adjust while in the air. Alley oops are tough. But catching them from the upper deck, or off the side of the backboard is really difficult! BTW, wood was the set-up man for both of those dunks.

    The level of comfort on the court, from the Freshmen, was one of the more impressive things to see. Davis was the most sporadic, though his energy level was so high that it magnified missed screens and him being in the wrong places. Jordan and Wood looked very comfortable already. Painter was steady and wasn't rushing things, too.

    Now, who knows how they will react when they are in Cameron Indoor, or in Chapel Hill? But that's why we ease them into these situations. And for their first time in the spotlight, they played pretty well.

    Go State!

  19. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

    I'm really impressed with the amount of stuff you guys are putting out here recently. These sites are turning out to be something pretty special!

  20. johnpack said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM

    I will say this. If UNC fans had recruited big Vandenberg after watching those highlights they would predict he would be a solid contributor. I think V is an unexpected and good suprise. I think if Pack fans were not so used to getting their hopes up, only to be dashed, there would be even more excitement about V!

  21. TruthBKnown Returns said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

    That last dunk by Jordan, where he went between his legs with the ball, made my eyes water. Holy moly!

    I won't make any rash predictions. And I won't let myself get my hopes up too much. But I just have silent hope that we might just have us a basketball team now!

  22. redfred said...
    October 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM

    I guess it's in the water, but I, personally, had no preconceived ideas about JV. I figured he must better than most people were saying because this is the same coaching staff that was all over talent like John Wall and CJ Leslie very EARLY ON.

    While I didn't know exactly what we were getting in JV, the only expectations I had in this scenario, was that I fully expected that the coaching staff knew what they were doing, and I did expect to PLEASANTLY surprised.

    Which I am. Thank you very much.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates