Monday, October 19, 2009

Coach Lowe In The Spotlight


comments

22 Responses to "Coach Lowe In The Spotlight"
  1. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM

    What i love about Lowe is that he seems to really love NCSU, just like any die hard NC State fan. He seems to know our history and it seem like he believes we should competing with UNC and Duke, not ECU and UNC-G

  2. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 4:17 PM

    when is your new site going to be up?

  3. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    October 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM

    We're working on it. It could be a few days, it could be more than a week. We're not sure yet.

  4. ppack3 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM

    That's what kills me about the way Lowe is talked about by some NC State fans. They talked about Amato the same way, though. I'm not saying that I love every decision that these two make/made, unconditionally, because I don't/didn't. But, you hit on it anon, these two people love NCSU with all of their hearts. They bleed Red.

    You know, for years people complained about Herb Sendek. They complained that he didn't know what the area rivalries were about. They complained that he didn't know his fan base, or that he didn't reach back in time to recognize the heritage that our storied history so richly provides us. What they were saying was that he wasn't 'one of us!'

    Now you have 'one of us.' Not only do you have an Alum, but a successful Alum. Not only was he successful in his time here in Raleigh, but in the NBA also. He also brought back some of the most successful players in our history to coach along side of him. He celebrates our heritage. He references it often. He dons the Red Jacket as a symbol of certain games' importance! He is recruiting his ass off.

    And, all some can do is reserve judgment until we've done something special. Or, worse. Some have nothing to say about Lowe. Some have hateful things to say about him. This is a man that was part of one of the most magical runs that the sport has ever seen. He was coached up by Morgan Wooten. He was recruited by Norm Sloan, and was coached by the inspirational Jimmy V. Some point to his coaching record in the NBA and use that as proof that he isn't successful. But I would argue that the teams that he coached for were in their infancy, with regards to their time in existence. Yet, he was called on again to build a Vancouver team after he coached the newly expanded Minnesota franchise. How can you ask for more to cheer about?

    Sure, there is a point where, no matter what your history with the school might be, there has to be a point at which the school and the coach should part ways. Amato is a perfect example. I loved him, but his tenure had run it's course. But after three years? After seeing Lowe's recruiting skills? After knowing that he helped to win us a National Championship, and that other NBA coaches want him back into the league because he KNOWS BASKETBALL!!?

    Sometimes, I just don't get it.

  5. johnpack said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM

    well said ppack -- very well said! I believe some of our fans are a reflection of our society -- quick fix -- give me, give me - right now! A lack of patience creates an endless cycle of despair & false hope. New coach -- yea! Until reality sets in - 1 year, 2, 3 years -- Sendek was here too long, but 5 years is fair and realistic barring total collapse. Some folks have no patience because they have little character and their posts reflect that. Always its a new wife or girlfriend, new this/new that...I'm bored so give me a quick fix. It's really sad. Go Pack

  6. j.sol said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM

    i'm really glad coach is making it a point to incorporate our history even more. i'd say that everett case was just as influential on the game of basketball as dr. naismith was. nc state has such a deep and rich basketball tradition that goes so much further than just our 2 national championships. i wish more people knew this.

    i was kinda disappointed in the turnout for the red rally. was there just not enough promotion for this?

  7. Slick said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

    I agree J. Sol, I was also disappointed with the turnout. I think next year nc state should try to promote this a lot more starting a couple of months ahead of time.

    BTW, the scout board on the kentucky site shows Leslie as a visitor. Anyone know if he actually took his visit this past weekend?

  8. Realwolfpacker said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

    I have no doubts that Sid is the right man for the job. Fact of the matter is we hired him with no college coaching experience. It takes time to build a program. He loves the university and is VERY close to turning the corner.

  9. ppack3 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 5:56 PM

    J Sol - So true. RedFred will hook folks up with a NCSU history lesson if need be. Rich doesn't begin to describe our legacy.

    Now, I don't know if anyone can upstage the INVENTOR of the game!

  10. james said...
    October 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM

    I rather suck for 4 o5 years, rebuild and come back to real importance, than change coaches every 5 years or keep "decent" for ten.
    I am sure that coach lowe is doing a complete restoration of the program, I am confident that it will work, but most important I don't see other way to do it.

  11. j.sol said...
    October 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM

    yeah, it's hard to top the inventor of the game, but it's hard not to see coach case's influence on the modern game of basketball in college and the pros. from player introductions, to making the acc tournament what it is, to cutting down the nets, and he even came up with the "noise-meter" for crying out loud. that can be seen in all types of sports stadiums all over the place. he was a great innovator of the game and was always looking for better ways to make the game fun for the players and most especially the fans.

  12. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 7:09 PM

    ppack3,

    that long winded rant you had on october 19 a post of a life time. Well said sir, well said.

    JerseyWolf
    (my password doesnt work even though i reset it...oh well ill just wait for the website)

  13. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 8:40 PM

    Good comments ppack3. I agree in this fast-food, instant coffee world, people need to develop patience. The NCSU job is by far the toughest one in all of college basketball. In no other state are there 4 traditional powerhouses like those in NC. Find another state with more National Championships (UCLA the one exception). The task of bringing State back to glory against a constant barrage of negativity from the UNC dominated media, the skill of two hall of fame coaches (they do deserve respect) and the total impatience of an extremely fustratated fan base make this job Sid has one I do not envy. Sid however bleeds Wolfpack Red and takes on this mountain with a smile. We are very lucky. GO PACK.

  14. ppack3 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 8:44 PM

    Thx JerseyWolf-
    I tend to let things out in bulk. I hope it doesn't put people to sleep. (Except, of course, RedFred)

    Seriously, J Sol, I would NEVER even downplay the contributions the Coach Case made to our school, the ACC, College basketball and or to the sport in general. I am proud to have such deep roots.

    Before there was Coach K, there was Coach Case. Before there was Dean, there was Case. Before there was McGuire, there was Case. Before there was Case...there was Neismith!

    Can I get a Amen!!?

  15. wolfranger said...
    October 19, 2009 at 8:55 PM

    Amen! ppack, Amen!

    Everytime I talk with my friends about basketball, I'm amazed at the sheer ignorance surrounding the prestige of our program. I guess I know more because my dad was in school here in 1983 and he also witnessed the '74 championship. Even though all I've witnessed in my lifetime has been mediocrity, I'm a lifelong NCSU basketball fan and believe that Coach Lowe will return us to greatness. We are just starting to see the pieces put into place, and I think that this year could be a huge year.

    I'm just frustrated that no one believes that Coach Lowe can put the pieces together, yet before the season, everyone was showering TOB with praise. Lowe is bringing his guys in and we can be great. I believed TOB was also doing the same, but that is a different story...

    Anyways, I'm done with the rant and can't wait for this season!

    Go Pack!

  16. Realwolfpacker said...
    October 19, 2009 at 9:41 PM

    ^ I would temper the high expectations for this year. I just want to see a competitive team that shows heart and more importantly actualyy wants to play defense. I think this will be a good year where we see flashes of where the program is headed. I don't think we take a big step forward until 2010-2011. But hey, I would love to be suprised.

  17. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM

    What happened to following the leslie story every step of the way? That was saturday. Did he visit Kentucky? I read that he did.

  18. Alum02 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM

    they've already stated that leslie did not visit kentucky. obviously you have not been following closely ;)

  19. redfred said...
    October 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM

    Jsol, it's kinda sad, but Lowe is going to have build back up before something like the Red Rally gets the crowds it deserves. I'm too far away, plus I have young kids of my own with all kinds of activities to attend locally on weekends, so I can't just hop up and be there for that sort of thing. But, early season events such as this ARE what sets the tone for the PLAYERS, whether they're currently on the roster, or sitting in the stands and contemplating the possibility of it in the future. I honestly believe that the blatant negativity exhibited by certain fans has taken a toll on every aspect, Red Rally included, and they have either knowingly, or unknowlingly, had a hand in digging the hole a little deeper.

    James, nail on head. Some are totally content when they're heads are comfortably positioned just above water. That's as long they don't sink below that, then their feathers get ruffled and they get embarrassed. I'm with you though, I can hold my breath, even sit down on the bottom in a brief holding pattern for a while, if I believe that holding pattern is going to open up an avenue to rise well above the old water mark.

    Good stuff ppack3!!! I hear ya, and AMEN!!! Brohammer.

    wofranger, I truly respect young folks who love NC State in this day and age, especially since they haven't seen one clue as to what it is REALLY capable of!!!

    Realwolfpacker, if they just TRYYY harder night in and night out, pour their hearts into it and play really HARD basketball everywhere on the court, then I think I would be one Pack fan who considers that one really HUGE STEP for the program, and mankind in general as far as I'm concerned!!!

  20. Anonymous said...
    October 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM

    alum - they said that he didn't go to the event, not that he didn't visit kentucky later in the weekend. i read that he missed the midnight madness event, but visited later in the weekend. it's just been crickets ever since that posting so i thought i'd give a friendly nidge to see what if anything anyone knew...

  21. Alum02 said...
    October 19, 2009 at 11:15 PM

    gotcha. i guess i need to pay better attention. i haven't seen much else here, but Telep said on the national Scout board that he sees the Leslie situation dragging out to the spring unless we can get him back in the fold. he sounded like he felt it would go into the spring though. who knows though. maybe leslie will show up at the ryan harrow signing and get the itch to join him.

  22. redfred said...
    October 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM

    ^Yes, but did Leslie actually visit UK later? I've heard conflicting stories even on that.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates