Tuesday, October 20, 2009

SIMON SAYS: Issue #2 : "Off-Week in Ireland"



Dear Wolfpack Fans,

Well, we didn't have a game this week. So you know it goes without saying, we had an extremely tough past week of training (thanks Coach). With that being said, this past week I spent a lot of time icing and doing my best to familiarize myself with the area that I live in now. I live in a small village by the name of Moycullen (hometown of my club team), and we are about ten minutes outside of the town of Galway, which is the major city in this area of the country (To give you a mental picture Moycullen is like Apex and Galway would be Raleigh) and is where everything in the area really takes place.

Since I've had a free weekend I have been in and around town seeing the sights and getting to know the area. This place is beautiful, it has wonderful people and there is always something interesting going on. The culture here is so laid back and accepting of everything, which really is a beautiful thing. It's not like my hometown (Pittsburgh) at all, where it's like everyone you encounter is on a mission to get a certain task accomplished. Everyone here takes the time to speak to everyone and be cordial, and they're really genuine. People here just love other people regardless of their ethnicity, gender, etc. Maybe that's why I love it here so much. To be honest, everyone is literally treated as an equal. It's a great change of pace from the States.

But back to basketball, haha. We travel to Northern Ireland this upcoming Saturday to play another road game. Hopefully we get this first win. Our community really deserves it and I know they're really hungry for it. It's up to us to try to go get it now.

Wish us luck...,

Simon

comments

8 Responses to "SIMON SAYS: Issue #2 : "Off-Week in Ireland""
  1. Anonymous said...
    October 20, 2009 at 1:17 PM

    Simon,

    I think it is great that you are giving perspective to what you are going through in Ireland. This is great reading and inspiring to the young players who are looking to continue the basketball beyond college. I want to quickly comment on another subject, I reading a lot about how there selfish players on last year's club. Specially Brandon and Ben. Can you give the readers some insight to the accusations and tell us your impression of last season?

  2. Anonymous said...
    October 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM

    Good luck mr Harris! I love the column and am glad to see you are enjoying yourself. Keep us updated on your mission to bring basketball to Ireland!

  3. Lynda Sadler said...
    October 20, 2009 at 1:46 PM

    Thanks, Simon. I'm going to enjoy the day to day perspective of living and working on the other side of the ocean. Throwing in some basketball talk doesn't hurt either.

  4. TheWolfman8321 said...
    October 20, 2009 at 1:52 PM

    "where are they now" was the main reason I started coming to this site. I love hearing about our former players and where they have gone after college.

    I think too often we call ourselves "the wolfpack family" yet we forget about those who have helped build this program and people that gave their hearts and souls to this basketball program to please US the fans.

    I think this is a great column and I really enjoy hearing a past players take on life after college ball. I think it will be cool for simon to give his take on State games this season (if he can watch them over there in Ireland!?)

    Thanks for doing this Simon. It is inspirational to see a former player that wants to stay in touch with the fans and keep them up to date! You my friend are a true Wolfpacker!

  5. Anonymous said...
    October 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM

    "I reading a lot about how there selfish players on last year's club. Specially Brandon and Ben. Can you give the readers some insight to the accusations and tell us your impression of last season?"

    I really don't see the need for this, it'll just bring-up bad blood that could carry over to this year. Let it be, it's over.

    And thanks Simon, nice to hear about your experiences over the pond. Good luck in your upcoming "match". (Do they call it "match", since they call it a "club"? :) )

  6. Alum02 said...
    October 20, 2009 at 3:29 PM

    Any updates on PackInsider.com? Would love to have some message board ability.

    Also, any follow-up on what is up with Leslie? Seems there are some insiders that know where he was when he was supposed to be at UK's madness.

  7. Slick said...
    October 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM

    Where might that be?

  8. Anonymous said...
    October 21, 2009 at 7:00 AM

    spokane

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates