Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Vandenberg Ready to Roll; Ranked by ESPN


As we reported earlier, NC State landed 7'0 Australian big man Jordan Vandenberg. The N&O recently caught up with him to talk about his commitment, his plans and his skill set. Vandenberg, coming from AIS (Australia's top prep basketball program) knows that he has a lot of work to do before being ready to bang in the ACC.

“[The ACC] is said to be the hardest competition in college basketball and it is always fierce, fast and strong,” Vandenberg said via email. “I know I will be playing limited minutes until I can fully hold my own physically,” he said.

Once Jordan can add that weight, the staff feels as if he will be a true asset to the front court. With his skill, versatility and height. Vandenberg had this to say:

“I bring length so I would be able to change shots and rebound most importantly,” he said. “I admire most Pau Gasol and Andrew Bogut,” he said. “They are very skilled and versatile big men.”

ESPN also has finally finished evaluating the big Aussie and has given him, what we feel, is a pretty favorable evaluation. This is what they had to say:

Name: Jordan Vandenberg
School: NC State University
Scouts Grade: 84
Evaluation: Jordan is a legitimate 7-footer who plays the game like a European big man. He likes to step away from the basket and shoot jumpshots out to 15 feet. He displays a very nice touch on his jumper and can consistenly knock them down. He is very thin so a Division I strength program will be a big part of his development. Right now he has limited post moves and is not a power player but added strength will help him in this part of his game. He is considered a top 10 center and a top 30 prospect overall among Australia's 2009 prospects. He needs to become more assertive and bring a consistent effort when he arrives at N.C. State next season.

Vandenberg also made front page over at the NBL website where they had this to say.

Checking in at 7-feet and 230 pounds, Vandenberg told PackPride’s on-line radio show that he brings a lot to the table but admit he can still improve as a player.

"I'm left-handed, but I can score with either hand in the paint," he said. "I also feel like I have good post moves and can score out to 10 feet. The things (I) do well is use both hands around the basket, and I am a good shotblocker and can change shots.

"I do need to get stronger and do that quickly. That is what I need to improve the most. I know I'll need to be stronger to play consistently against big men who are 20 or 30 pounds heavier than me. I can also improve my off-the-dribble shots and add more variety in the post.”

Vandenberg is a member of the Australian Emus national junior squad.

comments

13 Responses to "Vandenberg Ready to Roll; Ranked by ESPN"
  1. Unknown said...
    April 29, 2009 at 12:27 PM

    Hard to know now, but maybe he'll contribute some next year, and become a strong inside presence in the next few years. The ESPN 'evaluation' makes me feel a lot better. Who knows, maybe an unknown sleeping giant?

  2. TJ said...
    April 29, 2009 at 2:02 PM

    GREAT eval by ESPN I think that is alot better than some people were thinking... I am ready to see this guy in NC State Red and I do not think he is a project I think he can put on 10-15 lbs this summer and have a immediate impact for us!!! It is now Wed. afternoon and if I am not mistaken John Wall is supposed to cut his list today is there any update on that?? can you check with your source Wolfpack Hoops???? Also when do you think ESPNU will update the top 25 recruiting classes because we are still 19th and says we have 3 signnees so it needs to be updated. thanks!!!! also any update on recruitment of Painter ?

  3. Kris said...
    April 29, 2009 at 2:07 PM

    You have to admire how hard this staff is working. It seems like they are not leaving any stone unturned. First our football team finds a DE from Germamy now a our basketball program lands a center from Australia. We're going Global baby!!

  4. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 29, 2009 at 2:29 PM

    The N&O said John will be trimming his list on Friday. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's the last thing we've heard. Our source, our staff, and every college coach out there wants to know "what John Wall is going to do next" ... unfortunately, the only people that know that is John Wall, his mother, and Clifton. We'll make a call to John today, but he has a knack for being tough to get ahold of.

    I'm not sure how ESPN works as far as updating their top 25 classes. I'd be guessing, but I'd say towards the end of summer when most rosters are set.

    As for Painter, we can confirm that we are still going hard after him and that he has scheduled an official with us. We'll make some calls and see what we can get.

  5. Unknown said...
    April 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM

    http://www.chick-fil-abowlchallenge.com/News/tabid/63/Default.aspx

    Looks like Sid and Monte didn't make the golf tournament today. A shame we couldn't get some money for the general scholarship fund, but I'm sure they had a good reason.

    Notable attendees include Tome(sp) O'Brien and Lee Fowler.

  6. Craig said...
    April 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM

    I do not keep up with the NBA (frankly it bores me), so I can't really picture Bogut & Gasol too well. How does JV compare to former Pack player Pano Fasoulas? You probably have to be over 35 to tell me. Does JV have a higher ceiling? Is he more athletic? Fasoulas ended up being drafted by the Blazers IIRC.

  7. Unknown said...
    April 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

    WPH,

    The link has the results. Spurrier won again. I was noting that Sid and Monte weren't on the list of participants.

    Was wondering if you had any insight?

  8. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 29, 2009 at 11:53 PM

    Craig,
    I'm actually not 35 quite yet so I couldn't tell you how JV stacks up against Pano. I'll have to do some research and see some video to tell you that. We'll work on that!

    Jason,
    I apologize. I did not check the link out b/c I was on my way out the door to Apex to watch Josh Davis in the slam dunk contest. I have now looked at it and I will be sure to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what the deal was with that.

  9. Anonymous said...
    April 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

    So how did Davis look in the dunk contest?

  10. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 30, 2009 at 12:03 AM

    ^ Check the Josh Davis Dunk Contest article. I put a recap in the "Comments" section, but we'll have a true recap and video shortly.

  11. Unknown said...
    April 30, 2009 at 8:23 AM

    WPH,

    No need to apologize. If you had to weigh "answer to unimportant question" with "Josh Davis throwing down for all of Wolfpack Nation to see", I would choose JD every time.

    Thanks again for all the hard work!

  12. Wolfpack Hoops said...
    April 30, 2009 at 8:55 AM

    Jason,

    Just got word that Sidney and Monte had to cancel b/c "Something came up"...thats all i could get. Not sure what it was, but probably recruiting related. It's all work and no play for the staff these days.

  13. Jeremy said...
    May 2, 2009 at 12:51 AM

    Jordan "from down under" Vandenburg is finally getting some internet attention. ESPN gave a favorable evaluation and it sounds like JV is going to provide a much-needed big-body presence. And he apparently has a good perimeter shot.

    Is there any video of this guy, anywhere?

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates