Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Painter Ready to “Earn Respect”


The signing of DeShawn Painter not only gave the Pack the number 13 rated recruiting class nationally, but it also shored up a depleted frontcourt that lost both leading scorers in Brandon Costner and Ben McCauley. Painter saw this glaring hole in the front court as an opportunity. He’s ready and willing to work hard in hopes that he’s the one that will make the Pack fans forget the loss of the two experienced bigs. We got to talk to DeShawn last night and he filled us in on his decision to run with the Pack and the role he’s expecting to play next year. Here it is…

WPH: We’ve received a lot of questions regarding your decommitment from Florida. Could you explain that situation a little bit?

DP: Oh yeah of course. It basically came down to the fact that I wanted to be closer to home. I wanted my friends and family to get to see me play. At Florida I felt like it was a little far away and my Mom really wouldn’t get to see me play as much.

WPH: So where you really set on Florida or was it just the kind of thing where you feel like you made a decision too quick?


DP: Not really. I mean I was 100% set on Florida. It was a good situation, they were a hot school at the time, and I was going to get playing time there but I just felt like I wanted to play closer to home so I decided to decommit.

WPH: That makes sense, So talk about your visit to NC State. What did you do and what sold you on the Wolfpack?

DP: It was just a good time and I really vibed with the players and coaches. It was just that they were real. You know, you could tell they weren’t putting on a show or anything. I just vibed real good with Julius Mays, he’s a cool dude. Really thought it was the whole package and the coaches, I just got along good with them. Pete Strickland is a real high energy dude and Coach Lowe is real laid back, like me. It was a hard choice because Maryland was good too but there were just no knocks on NC State, It was a great opportunity where if I work hard I can get a lot of minutes early on.

WPH: We heard that you got to eat downtown Raleigh at “The Pit.” How was that? You know it was rated as one of the top BBQ stops in the south by the New York Times.

DP: Oh yeah? I didn’t know that. That's Big Time right there! That place was real good though and the people there were good people. You could tell they were big fans.

WPH: Well I know the Wolfpack fans are very excited about your decision, however most of them haven’t had the chance to see you play. Can you explain your game to us a little or is there any certain player you pattern your game after?

DP:
Oh Kevin Garnett for sure. I’m tall and long and I can do a lot of what KG does. I mean, I know I’m not as good as him or as strong yet, but that’s the player I pattern my game after. I always say I want to be better than KG but of course I have a lot of work to do, but I’m ready to come in and work hard. Even Coach Lowe told me he saw a lot of Garnett tendencies in my game. I guess you can say I like to shoot it and I can shoot it. I like to face up and attack the basket too. I’m not too much of a back to the basket guy but,I know if I get stronger I can be.

WPH: So let me ask you. Did the Coaches tell you about the NC State / UNC rivalry and how big it is?

DP: Ohh haha, I got to tell you a funny story about that. We were staying in the Renaissance in North Hills and the coaches came in and I had some light blue on. They were like “OHHH NO, What are you doing! You gotta take that stuff off!” I didn’t know it was that big but now I do. I mean I got me some Carolina blue Jordan’s at home but I’m probably going to leave them up here now haha.

WPH: I think that might be a good idea, that probably wouldn’t go over all that well on campus. So did the coaches go over their expectations with you or what your role is going to be next season?

DP:
Oh yeah. Coach Lowe is real up front and I liked that. He didn’t promise me anything. It was basically like if I work hard I’m going to have an opportunity to play. But at the end of the day I’m going to stay humble. That’s who I am. Just stay humble and work hard you know. You got to earn respect to get respect, you know. I’m not coming in thinking anyone owes me anything, I’m going to work hard and earn it.

WPH: That’s a great quote and I think a very true one. Just talking to you I can tell the Wolfpack fans are going to take a liking to you. Is there anything you’d like to tell them?

DP: You can tell them that I’m going to give it my all. I mean I can’t make any promises but I’m going to stay humble and work hard. I just want to help the team and put in lots of work to be the best I can be. Basically I want to win and I want to help this team win, that’s why I’m coming to NC State.

---------
I think you can tell by the interview that DeShawn Painter is a high-energy guy that is ready to go to work for the Pack. This is definitely a guy with a lot of personality and those players seem to always do well in Raleigh. We’d like to thank him for taking the time to talk with us and we’re excited to see him don the red and white this upcoming season.

comments

29 Responses to "Painter Ready to “Earn Respect”"
  1. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM

    Nice interview, thanks for the insight to the personal side of Painter. Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, and is ready to put in the work required to get the job done.

    -Tampa-Pack

  2. j.sol said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:04 AM

    thanks guys, i can't wait to see all these guys get on the court next year. i think we're truly in for something special in the years to come.

    and i gotta check out the pit next time i come to raleigh, haha. i've always gone to olde time bbq when i'm goin for bbq there.

  3. Erik said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:10 AM

    I love how he is willing to work hard and earn playing time. I can't wait to see him in the red and white.

  4. Jason said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:12 AM

    He sounds like a real quality kid. Funny, personable, and humble. Sounds like we got quite a catch.

    And check out Julius helping on the recruiting trail!

  5. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:16 AM

    Wolfpackhoops does it big. Another nice interview.

    Looking forward to seeing Painter run with the Pack. Get it done Lowe.

  6. Eric said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:21 AM

    Excellent interview once again. Really excited to see DP on the court, and how well this team can mesh. Everyone seems to want to work hard and earn their playing time. This has to result in a change in attitude and eventually, a whole lot of Wins.

  7. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 9:22 AM

    Sounds like he is ready to play. Hopefully we can have a Smith/Howell/Painter/Vandenberg rotation at the 4/5 and leave Horner at the 3.

  8. ppack3 said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:02 AM

    This interview shows a lot of great things about the program, the players, and the coaches.
    DeShawn is a stand up guy. There is always more (or less) about these recruiting stories than the media assumes that there is. DeShawn wanted to play in front of his Mom. Simple. This is in stark contrast to J. Wall. There was probably way more to that situation than we will ever know.
    Coach Lowe and Co. are doing a fantastic job on the recruiting trail. Great questions WPH, BTW. Taking Painter to the Pit is genious. It shows a real side of this city. One steeped in or roots, and one hot NC State fan spot. The players are down to Earth and my guess is that Painter was talking a lot with his Point Guard for this coming season.
    Again, this staff knows the value of Family, the value of tradition and the value of our rivalries! They are representing NC State with the utmost class. Wins will follow.
    Thanks, WPH! You continue to impress.
    Go State!

  9. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:08 AM

    can we put a moratorium on calling him "DP"? Let's leave that to the brokeback Hill fans.

  10. TruthBKnown Returns said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:42 AM

    I want to hear from the Anonymous dude that said Wall was coming to State. I always thought he was yanking our chain, but I'd like to hear his comments on Wall committing to Kentucky.

  11. Pack Leader said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:57 AM

    very interesting interview!! Painter seems like a work horse who will put up gaudy numbers once he puts more muscle on and gets comfortable with the team and offense. I wonder if julius and the staff doesnt already know he will start, and thats why hes taking a more vocal role in the team and with recruiting. really exciting stuff. it is always refreshing to hear a recruit, esp one whos had national recognition but still knows he has work to do (unlike a mr wall)

    <--j.sol I too love olde time bbq but thats the local place that isnt as pretty a place to take a big recruit unfortuatly!! the pit is upper class bbq but mannn is it good!!

  12. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM

    real anon:I said last week it was between Kentuky,Miami and Memphis look it up .Once we gots the "Painter " Wall was a goner we gots Javi,Mays,Brown,Degand to handle the rock!
    Sid and Mont's knows whats what,not too worry

  13. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM

    Super, super comments from Painter. I'll take that attitude and work ethic over a John Wall type player and all that comes with "him" every, single day. I already respect Painter. He seems like a good kid, a hard worker, and a basketball player and ultimately that's all we can ask of him.

    Good luck to him.

    GAWolf

  14. Primacyone said...
    May 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM

    Nice that they made him remove that powder puff blue from his wardrobe.

    Looking forward to seeing that positive energy and personality on the court.

  15. KarNCSU said...
    May 19, 2009 at 1:27 PM

    Awesome interview. Painters personality will help in the future as he could be a good guy to show future recruits around. From the interview he speaks a lot of gelling not only with the coaches but the players as well. This is why some of the players on the team thought he was gonna come because they said they all had fun hanging out with each other and got along real well. This team is going to be real tight next year and that is one step in producing on the court chemistry

  16. ANdrew said...
    May 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM

    Painter seems like the perfect player for our system. I can envision him and Howell as a very strong bigman duo in the near future!

  17. TruthBKnown Returns said...
    May 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM

    "real anon:I said last week it was between Kentuky,Miami and Memphis look it up"

    Then you're not the one I was talking about. One of you ANONS said Wall AND Painter were coming to State and that was a lock. I never saw a retraction from the original anon that said this.

  18. Anon "The Great One" said...
    May 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

    I meant Wall was going to "the state of kentucky" LOL my bad guys! I was 1 for 2 I had heard so many great things about Wall and Lowe having conversations that no one else knew about and that Wall wanted Lowe to be his role model and help him through everything so I felt he was going to land him after all. I am very much inside the organization and I used to play basketball at NC State so that will give you some insight on who I may be I have played as recently as the last 6 years. Well guys I am sorry but I really had a good feeling about Wall when noone else did because they did not know that Lowe was all over top of it and conversating with Wall. We have a good team next year it is the best recruiting job anyone has done in about 10 years!

  19. Realwolfpacker said...
    May 19, 2009 at 2:46 PM

    And he speaks......

    ANON THE GREAT is one of us after all. I wish you would have been right. Looks like the kid made a business decision.

    I will take Harrow for 3 or 4 years over John Wall for 1.

  20. John said...
    May 19, 2009 at 2:47 PM

    Great interview as always WPH... can't wait to see the team next year. Anybody know if a date has been set for the Red/White game?

    Anon"The Great One" = Levi?

  21. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 3:03 PM

    The real Anon as far as I am concerned your a fake. You come in here saying stating guarantees and you fail to deliver. You were right about Painter but ALOT of people knew that NC State had a great chance at landing him. So for that I give you little to no credit. You also stated that after the wall ordeal went down you would reveal who you really were and up till now you have failed to do so. If all your going to do is come on here and make a mockery then you should go elsewhere. This site is here to promote a positive outlook on NC State and for that were all thankful. Face it Anon you made a claim about Wall and it fell through and you have been exposed for that fake person you are.

    The Truth

  22. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM

    Kenny Inge?

  23. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM

    It's not Kenny Inge. I don't think. He coaches at Cary Academy, but I don't think he is that much on the inside now. Plus that is more than 6 years I believe. Also, I think it may be Levi. Otherwise, he is prolly fake or possibly Braxton Albriton.

  24. Anonymous said...
    May 19, 2009 at 3:41 PM

    Again fellows, never trust "anonymous". He's saying he's a former player, but that doesn't mean that he actually is. NEVER TRUST "ANONYMOUS".

  25. wufpack7 said...
    May 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM

    Is that like a riddle? Do I trust the anonymous telling me to never trust an anonymous? Hmmm.

  26. Erik said...
    May 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM

    If Anon the Great is a former player, I am sure that WPH can verify if that is true or not.

  27. meluvmesumpack said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM

    Welcome to the Pack family Mr. Painter!!

    Sid has gotten guys that seem to be team first type of guys. They seem as if they are gonna get along real well next year and for years to come. I can envision a team with chemistry like the Cleveland Cavaliers. That would be great to see.

    These next few months have to pass quickly, because I'm about to explode with excitement about this BB team (and football team).

  28. WolfCamel said...
    May 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM

    "We have a good team next year it is the best recruiting job anyone has done in about 10 years!" Wow, is that a former Herb player taking a shot at Herb? I'm very excited about the future of the program and I truely do believe it's best that John decided to go elsewhere. Our team will have nice chemistry next season and will play as a TEAM! That's what we have been lacking the past two seasons. Certain players decided to jack up unnecesary shots that really costed us some wins. We all just need to keep our expectations low next season, we will be very young and have to rely heavily on freshmen. I'm just ready for some fresh faces that will give it their all and that's what we are going to have!

  29. sennay said...
    May 20, 2009 at 8:24 AM

    Painter seems like such a great guy and a team player. I'm really excited about seeing him play in the red and white.

    Big Ed's for breakfast and the Pit for lunch - sounds like the staff was trying to fatten Mr. Painter up.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates