Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sharing The Wealth: Costner Upbeat About NBA Draft


In this morning's N&O, J.P. Giglio wrote an article about Brandon Costner and his pursuit of an NBA career. According to the article, Brandon was not invited to this past weekends NBA Combine in Chicago. Regardless, Costner is staying upbeat. Costner told Giglio:

"I'm used to people making judgments about me that aren't always true," Costner said. "That doesn't bother me."

Lowe said in April he and Costner parted on good terms, and Costner said he doesn't have any animosity for Lowe.

"In the end, I felt like everyone was ready to part ways and move on from the Sendek era," Costner said. "I enjoyed my time, I wish him nothing but the best."

According to the article, Costner spent the past month at the Athletes Performance program at the 2J Basketball Academy run by former Frank Johnson near Phoenix.

Johnson had this to say to the N&O concerning Costner:

"He's a talented kid...I love his skill set. I've been trying to get him to turn up his intensity and believe in himself. He'll get a shot somewhere...With the right team and the right coach, he can get there."

Giglio also reported that Costner hopes to be drafted in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft. According to the article, Costner has worked out for the Nuggets and the Suns and has 5 more workouts scheduled between now and the draft.

"So far, the feedback has been positive," Costner said. "I think my chances are good."

While Frank Johnson didn't discredit this possibility, he did say that Costner might have to go the free agency or Europe route to begin with.

"He'll get a shot somewhere," Johnson said. "With the right team and the right coach, he can get there."


Brandon has always had the skill set to make it to the next level.  We hope he puts all the pieces of the puzzle together and hears his name called on Draft Day.


comments

7 Responses to "Sharing The Wealth: Costner Upbeat About NBA Draft"
  1. Dennis said...
    June 3, 2009 at 11:38 AM

    Best of luck to B Costner! Keep putting the time in and you'll get there!!!
    His situation is somewhat similar to Mr. Powell's. Hopefully he's reached out to him for advice and encouragement!

  2. Red Herring said...
    June 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM

    "He's a talented kid...I love his skill set. I've been trying to get him to turn up his intensity and believe in himself. He'll get a shot somewhere...With the right team and the right coach, he can get there"

    This is probably the most conclusive assessment of Brandon Costner. Lots of talent, lack of intensity, and potential to flourish under the right conditions.

    We want Costner to succeed because he represents NCSU and gave us some good games and leadership.

    However, I don't anticipate NBA scouts being able to accept all of Costner's intangibles. We know that he played through injuries, and had to deal with family and off-the-court issues, but inconsistency and lack of intensity are hard to ignore.

    I hope that he proves everyone, including me, wrong.

  3. NJ Pack said...
    June 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM

    I wish Costner the best, but there is absolutely no way he will be selected in the NBA draft. Does the comment about increasing his intensity sound familiar? Fells had some bad breaks with injuries at the end, I think he is more likely to end up in the NBA, albeit starting as an undrafted free agent.

  4. ppack3 said...
    June 3, 2009 at 12:26 PM

    I like Costner's game when he gets intense, and goes 110%. He's almost unstopable at that point. If he can find a way to channel that spirit every night, he has the body and skills to be an NBA journeyman. Good luck B. You deserve to play for a living, for sure. Go Pack!

  5. Anonymous said...
    June 3, 2009 at 1:03 PM

    I hope he makes it too, but I doubt he is drafted.

  6. Anonymous said...
    June 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM

    I think Fells will get drafted. I think Costner will go to Europe. Both will earn a living playing basketball for a while - possibly a long while - who knows.
    -Ed

  7. redfred said...
    June 3, 2009 at 10:33 PM

    First off, I'm mostly proud of those guys for graduating from NC State on time, along with Trevor Ferguson (I think???) as well.

    Fells is a player whose athletic abilities might shine through and wow an NBA scout at any given time. Costner is more of a mystery. He has the size with flashes of an all around, NBA-type, skillset on ocassion. He just needs to figure out if he can muster the inner drive to do it on a more consistent basis, like night after night, after night, in different cities all across the country. I sincerely hope he makes it, but I think needs to prove himself, to HIMSELF, first.

 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates